This 3-ingredient rice pudding is the ultimate dessert that's as easy as 1-2-3! With just rice, whole milk, and a touch of sweetness, it's the perfect blend of simplicity and deliciousness!
Whether you're craving a quick treat or a comforting dessert, this easy-to-make rice pudding is sure to put a smile on your face. So go ahead, treat yourself to this sweet, heartwarming delight!
There's nothing better than a big bowl of comforting rice pudding! If you have an Instant Pot, check out this vegan rice pudding made in the Instant Pot.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It's made with only 3 ingredients! This creamy rice pudding recipe is made with only 3 ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. Just like 3 Ingredient Nutella Cookies, you can't go wrong with only a few ingredients!
- It can be made ahead of time! This is homemade rice pudding is the perfect dessert because it is best served cold, which means you can make this a few days ahead of time and then served when you are ready.
- There's no need to worry about an egg mixture. No need to worry about scrambling the egg yolks or cooking them too high and adding them to the rice mixture. This has no eggs in it at all!
Ingredients in 3-Ingredient Rice Pudding
You only need a few simple ingredients you can easily find in your local grocery store for to make the easiest rice pudding.
- Rice. This is rice pudding after all! Short grain rice or arborio rice is the best to get the perfect rice pudding texture. Arborio rice is also known as risotto rice because it gives the perfect creamy texture in risotto recipes.
- Whole milk. Whole milk gives the rice it's creamy texture too.
- Maple syrup. For a little bit of sweetness. You can use white sugar, brown sugar, sweetened condensed milk, or honey instead if you prefer.
See printable recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
How To Make 3-Ingredient Rice Pudding
What Type of Rice Should I Use For Rice Pudding?
A short grain rice is best type of rice to get that creamy texture in this easy rice pudding recipe. Here are some other options you can use.
- Cooked brown rice. Uncooked brown rice will effect the cook time of this recipe. You will need to add at least another 20 minutes to make sure the brown rice is cooked all the way through.
- Leftover white rice. Reheat the rice with the milk and maple syrup. It won't need the full 20 minutes to cook if you are using leftover rice.
- Sushi rice. Sushi rice is another type of short grain rice that will work well in this recipe.
- Basmati or Jasmine rice. The first time I made rice pudding I used Jasmine rice. It was good, but now I prefer arborio rice. Both types of rice will work in this recipe too since they are not too long grain, they are more of a medium-grain rice.
- Long grain rice. You can use long grain rice too if you have it on hand. It won't give you that creamy texture though.
- Add flavorings! Mix in vanilla extract, vanilla bean paste, or ground cinnamon right before the rice is done cooking.
- Use a different type of milk. To make this dairy free, use oat milk, almond milk, soy milk, or your favorite non dairy milk.
- Add raisins! Some people love raisins in their milk rice pudding, others hate it. You do what you and your family like best!
Rice Pudding Toppings
- Spices. Ground cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice are be sprinkled on top of the rice putting.
- Swirl in some blueberry sauce or your favorite jam recipe. Strawberry jam, mixed berry jam, or peach jam are all great choices!
- Sprinkle chocolate chips on top along with some cocoa powder for a chocolate rice pudding.
- Peanut butter. Swirl in some peanut butter or chunky peanut butter because peanut butter makes everything better!
- Dried fruit. Raisins are classic on top of rice pudding, but you can also add dried cranberries, dried apricots, or your favorite dried fruit.
How To Store 3-Ingredient Rice Pudding
Rice pudding can be served warm, at room temperature, or cold. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
The next day, add a little extra milk to the rice pudding to loosen it up. As it cools, it will thicken and the milk will loosen it up.
Yes! Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker and set the slow cooker on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Stir halfway through the cooking process so the rice does not stick.
Make sure that you are not cooking the rice pudding too high and that your rice is cooked through.
No. Rinsing the rice will get rid of a lot of the starch that is needed to help keep this rice pudding creamy.
More Easy Desserts Recipes
Creamy 3-Ingredient Rice Pudding
- 1 cup Arborio Rice
- 3 cups Whole Milk
- 1 cup Water
- ⅓ cup Maple Syrup
- Add all the ingredients to a saucepan over low heat to medium heat.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes stirring regularly until the rice is cooked. When the rice is cooked, remove the rice pudding from the pan and serve immediately or let it cool slightly before serving.
- The pudding is done when the rice is cooked but there is still liquid left in the pan. Do not overcook the rice or the liquid will dry up.
- Make sure you do not let the mixture boil. If it boils, you run the risk of curdling the milk and having chunks in the rice pudding.
- For added flavor, mix in vanilla extract or a pinch of salt to the rice right before it is done cooking.
- Top this rice pudding with ground cinnamon, raisins, or your favorite jam.
- Keep leftovers in an airtight container. Add a little bit of milk right before serving to loosen the rice pudding. It will thicken as it sits.