Ready in under 30 minutes, this Vegan Instant Pot Rice Pudding is a delicious and cozy pudding to whip together. It is a satisfying gluten free, vegan, and dairy free easy dessert!
What's in this Rice Pudding?
Well, there's NO dairy, NO gluten, and NO animal products! It's completely plant based! All you need is about a half hour and you have a delicious and creamy rice pudding (also known as arroz con leche). The best part of this recipe is that the Instant Pot does all the hard work for you.
Rice- Basmati or Jasmine rice works best, but any type of short-grain rice you have on hand will work in this dish. Make sure to rinse the rice thoroughly before adding it to the Instant Pot. Just don't use Cauliflower rice. Please.. I'm begging you!
Plant Based Milk- A can of coconut milk adds the thickness and a creamy texture to this recipe where we would usually be using heavy cream. Try to find the full-fat coconut milk for the richest texture. Almond milk cooks the rice but also adds richness. If you don't have almond milk on hand, water would be a perfect substitute or whole milk can be used as well.
Maple Syrup- This adds the sweetness to the rice pudding. You can use the sweetener of your choice such as brown sugar or regular granulated sugar if you don't want to use maple syrup. The amount of sugar would be equal to the amount of maple syrup you use.
Let's Make the Rice Pudding!
Rinse the white rice in a mesh colander and add the rice to the electric pressure cooker. Combine almond milk and the rest of the ingredients and set the Instant Pot the cooking time to 10 minutes on high pressure. Make sure the lid is set to the sealing position.
After the 10 minutes are up, allow the Instant Pot to naturally release for 15 minutes. Once the 15 minutes is up, release any remaining pressure. Give it a good stir to make sure everything is thoroughly combined. Serve hot or cold!
Finish with a little more coconut milk if you prefer it very decadent and creamy, and top this delicious rice pudding with ground cinnamon, raisins, walnuts, fresh fruit, a cinnamon stick, or whipped cream.
Variations of this Recipe
- Chocolate Rice Pudding- Add a tablespoon of your favorite unsweetened cocoa to the Instant Pot. Top with Cocoa nibs, or your favorite vegan chocolate chips.
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Pudding- Top your chocolate rice pudding with a drizzle of peanut butter.
- Apple Cinnamon Rice Pudding- Add one chopped apple to the Instant Pot. Top with cinnamon and more chopped apples.
- Pumpkin Spice Rice Pudding- Add a scoop of pumpkin puree into the Instant Pot and top with pumpkin pie spice and pecans. This would be a perfect, cozy Fall dessert.
- Make it sweeter! Add ¼ cup of brown sugar, white sugar, or coconut sugar to make this rice pudding a little sweeter.
Questions about this recipe?
It will last in an airtight container for up to 5 days. The whole family will enjoy this recipe throughout the week for a dessert or snack!
If serving warm, enjoy this traditional rice pudding right out of the Instant Pot and top with raisins or cinnamon. If serving cold, add a touch of coconut cream or almond milk to cream it up again. Add coconut cream or almond milk to the rice pudding if you are reheating it. It tends to get quite thick when it is refrigerated.
This recipe is made for the Instant Pot, but there are lots of amazing vegan rice pudding recipes on Pinterest and Google that I'm sure are delicious! This 3 ingredient rice pudding recipe might just be what you are looking for!
Other Recipes to Try!
Did you give this rice pudding recipe a try? I’d love to hear from you! Give me a shout on Instagram or Facebook and share this recipe on Pinterest! And don't forget to check out some other drool worthy recipes below! Thanks for sharing this journey with me and enjoy these delicious recipes!
- 10 Minute Four Bean Salad
- Lemon and Blueberry Zucchini Bread with Lemon Icing
- Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Zucchini
- Garden Vegetable and Herb Pasta Salad
Vegan Instant Pot Rice Pudding
- 1 cup Jasmine or Balsmati Rice Rinsed
- 1 Can Full Fat Coconut Milk 14 ounces
- 2 ½ cups Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Nutmeg
- 3 tablespoon Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- Pinch of Salt
- Place the rice in a mesh colander. Wash thoroughly under running water and drain.
- Add the rice, coconut milk, almond milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt to the Instant Pot.
- Close the lid and pressure cook for 10 minutes.
- When done, allow the Instant Pot to naturally release for 15 minutes.
- Stir well until the rice is creamy and fully combined.
- Serve this pudding hot or cold. Either is delicious!
- If the pudding becomes too thick when refrigerated, add a little more almond milk or coconut milk and stir.
- Serve with raisins, walnuts, or whipped cream.