Wondering what to serve with sausage and peppers? Look no further than these 50 delicious side dishes for your main dish! There's something for everyone in this amazing list!
Ingredients You'll Need
Sausage and peppers is one of the easiest recipes because you only need a few simple ingredients that you can easily find in your local grocery store!
- Olive oil. Just a little to make sure the ingredients don't stick to the pan.
- Peppers. I like a combination of red bell pepper, green bell peppers, yellow bell pepper, and orange bell pepper.
- Yellow onion. Two small yellow onions or one large onion. Red onion would work too!
- Tomatoes. I like diced tomatoes, but you can use one small can of tomato sauce or a tablespoon of tomato paste with ½ cup of chicken broth.
- Sausage. One pound of your favorite sweet Italian sausage or mild sausage. Sausage is full of fennel seed and so much flavor, so we don't have to do much in terms of seasoning.
- Italian seasoning. For a little extra flavor.
- Salt and black pepper. To taste.
How To Make Sausage and Peppers
There are lots of different ways to make sausage and peppers. You can even grill the sausage on the grill in the Summer and saute up some peppers and onion right on the grill. Pile them high on a hoagie roll for a delicious Summer meal!
One Pot Sausage and Pepper Recipes
One pot sausage and peppers is easy to make and has little clean up!
Place your large skillet over medium heat. Cut the sausage in half and add them to the hot pot.
Cook the sausage for 1-2 minutes on each side.
While the sausage cooks, cut the peppers and white onion into slices. Top the sausage with the slices peppers and onions. Add the canned diced tomatoes and their juice. Sprinkle the Italian seasoning and just a little salt and pepper. Stir all the ingredients to combine.
Cover the pot and set your cook time to 20 minutes. Lower the heat to medium-low heat and let the sausage peppers simmer.
After 20 minutes, remove the lid and top with some fresh parsley. Serve immediately.
Instant Pot Sausage and Pepper Recipe
One of the best ways to use your Instant Pot is to make Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers! Wash the peppers and remove the stem and core. Cut them into strips. Set that aside.
Remove the peel from the onion. Cut the onion into strips. Set that aside.
Set the Instant Pot to saute for four minutes. Place 1 tablespoon of olive oil into the bottom of the Instant Pot. Add the sausage links to the bottom of the pot. Brown the sausage for two minutes on each side.
Cancel the saute function. Add the peppers, onions, diced tomatoes and their juice, and the Italian seasoning to the Instant Pot. Stir well.
Close the lid of the Instant Pot and make sure the knob on the lid is set to the sealing position. Set the Instant Pot to high pressure and the cook time to 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes, allow the Instant Pot to naturally release for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, quick release any leftover pressure.
Remove the lid and serve the sausage and peppers immediately.
What Kind of Sausage to Use
- Sweet Italian Sausage. A classic way to make this delicious recipe is to use sweet sausage.
- Hot Italian Sausages. Kick up the flavor of sausage and peppers by using spicy Italian sausage.
- Turkey Sausage. Turkey sausage comes in all different flavors. Use mild or spicy sausage for this recipe.
- Chicken Sausage. Chicken sausage is usually fully cooked and has lots of different flavors just like turkey sausage. Italian sausage links with chicken is a classic type that can be used instead of pork sausage.
How To Serve Sausage and Peppers
- On hoagie rolls. There's nothing better than sausage and peppers on crusty bread!
- With pasta. For a complete meal, add a little marinara sauce or tomato sauce to the sausage and peppers and serve it over your favorite pasta.
- With rice. Use white rice, brown rice, cauliflower rice, or a combination of your favorite rice.
- With veggies. Load up your plate your sausage and peppers and some of your favorite fresh vegetables. Roast green beans, mashed sweet potatoes, zucchini sticks,
Frequently Asked Questions
Keep leftover sausage and peppers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can reheat the sausage and peppers on the stove or in the microwave.
Definitely! Place the cooked sausage and peppers in a freezer friendly container and freeze up to 3 months. To defrost, place the container in the refrigerator until it defrosts completely and then reheat on the stove.