The perfect side dish, these easy Baked Brown Sugar Carrots are so simple to make and packed with flavor! Serve these brown sugar glazed carrots for a special occasion, or as a side for busy weeknights.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases. However this is at no cost to you. Read my affiliate links full disclosure policy here.
Brown sugar-glazed carrots are a delicious way to get your kids to eat their veggies, and they are a great dish to serve during the holiday season too! You only need a few simple ingredients to make this recipe and you won't believe how packed with flavor it is!
When you are looking to make your menu for your holiday dinner, don't get overwhelmed! It's easy to look at all those different recipes and feel like it's too much. It doesn't have to be like that. Choose simple, delicious recipes like these brown sugar carrots that only have a few ingredients and are ready in less than an hour.
Ingredients You'll Need
- Carrots. You can use baby carrots, or larger carrots that are cut into bite sized pieces.
- Brown Sugar. Dark brown sugar will add a deeper flavor to the beautiful glaze, but light brown sugar will work perfectly too.
- Thyme. Thyme and carrots are a classic flavor combination. You can use dried thyme or fresh thyme in this recipe.
- Butter. To make this vegan, feel free to use olive oil instead of butter.
What Type of Carrots Should I Use?
You can use whole carrots, like I did here, or baby carrots for this easy recipe. At local farmer's markets, sometimes you can find purple carrots, yellow carrots, or even red carrots. Feel free to use those too and if they are not too big, you can cut the carrot greens off and use them whole without cutting them in half.
Let's Make Baked Brown Sugar Carrots!
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Peel the carrots and cut them into large chunks. If you are using baby carrots, you do not have to cut them.
On the stove top, place a saucepan over medium heat, add the butter and brown sugar. Melt the butter and mix until a sweet glaze forms and the butter is just melted.
Add the cut raw carrots to a casserole dish. Pour the brown sugar mixture over the carrots and mix well. Add the thyme and season with salt.
Bake for 30 minutes or until the carrots are slightly soft. Season with fresh thyme and serve immediately.
How to Serve Baked Brown Sugar Carrots
This is an easy side dish recipe that can be served with lots of different menu items! It's perfect on your Thanksgiving menu or your Christmas menu, but it is also a great recipe to serve during a regular weeknight dinner!
- Alongside a roast chicken.
- For dinner with Instant Pot Turkey Tenderloin.
- As a side dish to pork chops.
- With chicken thighs.
- Alongside chicken drumsticks.
Tips and Tricks
- If you are making this carrots recipe for a crowd, feel free to double or triple the recipe. Spread the carrots in a single layer on a baking sheet and then take them out of the hot oven when they are done baking and place them in a serving dish to enjoy.
- To make these carrots ahead of time, mix everything together and place them in a baking dish. Cover them with plastic wrap until you are ready to bake them. When you are ready to bake them, remove the plastic wrap and bake for 30 minutes.
- Keep leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! You can use white sugar, but I would recommend mixing it with maple syrup. Brown sugar has a deeper flavor than white sugar, and the maple syrup will help you get the deep flavor.
Yes! You can make these in the slow cooker, though I prefer to make these in the oven so you can get the natural sweetness of the carrots that the roasting process provides. To make this in the slow cooker, place the carrot pieces, butter, brown sugar, and dried thyme into the slow cooker. Set the cooking time to 4 hours on high, or 8 hours on low. Serve immediately.
More Side Dishes
- Sweet Potatoes with Walnuts
- Rice Dressing with Bacon
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Cranberry Sauce with Dried Cranberries
- Sourdough Stuffing with Sausage
Did you love this recipe? If you did, please leave a 5 ⭐️ rating below! Follow along on Instagram and Facebook!
Easy Baked Brown Sugar Carrots
- 4 cups Carrots
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup Butter
- ½ teaspoon Dried Thyme
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel the carrots and cut them into large chunks. If you are using baby carrots, you do not have to cut them.
- On the stove top, place a saucepan over medium heat, add the butter and brown sugar. Heat until the butter is just melted and the brown sugar has incorporated into the butter.
- Add the carrots to a casserole dish. Pour the brown sugar mixture over the carrots and mix well. Add the thyme and season with salt.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the carrots are slightly soft. Season with fresh thyme and serve immediately.
- Baby carrots or large carrots cut into chunks are best in this recipe.
- To make this recipe vegan, use olive oil instead of butter.
- To make this ahead of time, mix all the ingredients together and place them in a baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 24 hours in advance. When you are ready to bake the carrots, remove the plastic wrap and bake.
Leave a Reply