An easy weeknight meal, One-Pot Sausage and Peppers is a delicious dinner ready in under 30 minutes. No need to wash a ton of dishes, this dinner is made in one, nonstick pot!
Sausage and peppers are one of my favorite meals! It is so easy to make and all the ingredients are easily found at your local grocery store! It's the perfect, easy recipe to make on busy weeknights. When you are short on time, one pot meals are the best! Just like this One Pot Sausage and Broccoli Pasta or Instant Pot Sausage and Potatoes!
This Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers recipe is another way to make a quick sausage dinner! Anyway you cook it, sausage and peppers is a delicious meal the whole family will love! When making this recipe, make sure to check out what to serve with sausage and peppers for lots of delicious side dishes and recipes!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Olive oil. Just a little to make sure the ingredients don't stick to the pan.
- Peppers. I like a combination of red bell pepper, green bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, and orange bell pepper.
- Yellow onion. Two small yellow onions or one large onion. Red onion would work too!
- Tomatoes. I like diced tomatoes, but you can use one small can of tomato sauce or a tablespoon of tomato paste with ½ cup of chicken broth.
- Sausage. One pound of your favorite sweet Italian sausage or mild sausage. Sausage is full of fennel seed and so much flavor, so we don't have to do much in terms of seasoning.
- Italian seasoning. For a little extra flavor.
- Salt and black pepper. To taste.
How To Make One Pot Sausage And Peppers
Place your pot over medium heat to medium-high heat. Cut the sausage in half and add them to the hot pot.
The cooking time for the sausage should be 1-2 minutes on each side. Turn the sausage four times so each of the sides gets brown.
While the sausage cooks, cut the peppers and white onion into slices. Top the sausage with the slices peppers and onions. Add the canned diced tomatoes and their juice. Sprinkle the Italian seasoning and just a little salt and pepper. Stir all the ingredients to combine.
Cover the pot and set your cook time to 20 minutes. Lower the heat to medium-low heat and let the sausage peppers simmer.
After 20 minutes, remove the lid and top with some fresh parsley. Serve immediately.
- As a pasta dish! Serve this sausage and peppers recipe over your favorite pasta! Add a little bit of your favorite marinara sauce or some chicken broth or chicken stock to make it a little more saucy.
- Over rice! Add the sweet sausages and sweet peppers over brown rice or white rice. This would also be delicious with Instant Pot Asparagus Risotto.
- As a sandwich! Serve sausage and peppers on slider buns or your favorite hoagie rolls!
Place any leftover sausage and peppers into an airtight container. Keep it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. The next day when you are ready to reheat the sausage, place it in a microwave safe bowl and reheat for 2-3 minutes.
You can also reheat the sausage and peppers right on the stove. Pour the ingredients into a pan and reheat for 5 minutes.
Questions About One Pot Sausage and Peppers
It depends on what your family enjoys! If your family can handle the heat, add hot Italian sausage instead of sweet Italian sausage. You can also add a little bit of red pepper flakes to kick up the heat even more! To lighten up the dish, use turkey sausage or Italian chicken sausage links instead of pork sausage.
I like using a large skillet that is cast iron but also nonstick. You want to make sure it has a lid. Your favorite Dutch oven will work too.
Yes! Place the cooked sausage and peppers in a freezer safe container. Freeze them for up to 3 months. Whenever you are ready to serve this delicious comfort food, place it in the refrigerator to defrost and the reheat it on the stove. Serve immediately.
More Easy Dinner Recipes
- One Pot Pasta with Chicken and Broccoli
- Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Chicken
- Chicken Drumstick Sheet Pan Dinner
- Sheet Pan Roasted Vegetables and Brats
- Sheet Pan Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas
One Pot Sausage and Peppers
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 lb Sweet Italian Sausage
- 3 large Bell Peppers Red, Green, Orange, or Yellow
- 2 small Onions or 1 Large onion
- 15 oz Diced Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- Place your pot over medium heat. Add the oil. Cut the sausage in half and add them to the hot pot.
- Cook the sausage for 1-2 minutes on each side.
- While the sausage cooks, cut the peppers and white onion into slices. Top the sausage with the slices peppers and onions. Add the canned diced tomatoes and their juice. Sprinkle the Italian seasoning and just a little salt and pepper. Stir all the ingredients to combine.
- Cover the pot and set your cook time to 20 minutes. Lower the heat to medium-low heat and let the sausage peppers simmer.
- After 20 minutes, remove the lid and top with some fresh parsley. Serve immediately.
- Sweet Italian sausage, spicy sausage, turkey sausage, or chicken sausage can be used in this recipe.
- Keep leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Use your favorite combination of bell peppers for a colorful dish.