A filling and simple dinner, this One Pot Sausage Broccoli Pasta is a weeknight dinner the whole family will love! No need to worry about doing a ton of dishes, this one only uses one pot!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases. However this is at no cost to you. Read my affiliate links full disclosure policy here.
When you don't have a ton of time on a busy weeknight to make an elaborate dinner, but your family wants a hearty dinner, this one-pot pasta recipe to the rescue! This one pot meal is a great way to get dinner on the table fast, while not compromising flavor!
If you love this easy recipe, make sure to check out these other one pot recipes like One Pot Sausage and Peppers or One Pot Chicken Broccoli Pasta!
Ingredients You'll Need
You only need a few simple ingredients you can easily find in your local grocery store!
- Pasta. Your family's favorite shape.
- Sausage. You can buy bulk sausage that is ground or take the casing off the sausage and use that.
- Parmesan cheese. For some nutty, salty flavor. Plus more for sprinkling on top.
- Chicken broth. The pasta cooks right in the chicken broth. Water or vegetable broth will work too.
- Garlic. Everything is better with the flavors of garlic!
- Broccoli. 2 cups of broccoli florets.
- Salt and Pepper. To season the pasta.
What Type of Pot To Use
The best type of pot to use is a large, nonstick pot that has a lid. A large Dutch oven will work perfectly as will a deep, nonstick skillet. The most important thing is that is has a lid to cover so the pasta can cook.
How To Make One Pot Sausage Broccoli Pasta
In a large skillet with a top, add the olive oil. Heat it over medium-high heat for one minute. Add the ground sausage and cook for 4-5 minutes until the sausage is cooked through. Add the grated garlic to the sausage and cook for 1 minute. Make sure to scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon so get all the brown bits.
Add the pasta to the pan and the chicken broth. Season with Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper. Stir to make sure all pasta is in the chicken broth.
Add the broccoli to the top of the pasta and do not stir. Lower the heat to medium heat. Close the lid of the skillet and cook for 7-8 minutes or until the pasta is al dente. Open the lid, add the parmesan cheese and give the pasta a good stir. Serve immediately.
Lynn's Tip! Cooking times will vary depending on the pasta you use. Pasta shapes have different cook times. Penne pasta will take 7-8 minutes while bowtie pasta may taken closer to 9 minutes. Use the box instructions for cook time.
- Use spicy sausage! Use hot Italian sausage instead of sweet Italian sausage and sprinkle in some red pepper flakes for some heat!
- Change the sausage! To lighten up this dinner, use chicken sausage or turkey sausage instead of pork sausage.
- Make it more decadent! Add one cup of heavy cream with the chicken broth or mix in 1 cup of sour cream at the end of the pasta.
- Use broccoli rabe! If it is broccoli rabe season, it's a classic ingredient in sausage pasta. Use that instead of broccoli florets!
Store any leftover pasta in an airtight container for up to 4 days. To reheat the pasta, place it in an microwave safe bowl and microwave for 2-3 minutes.
You can also reheat the pasta on the stovetop with a little bit of chicken stock or water.
Frequently Asked Questions
Use your family's favorite pasta! Any shape or size will do. You can even use gluten free or chick pea pasta in this recipe.
Yes! Parmesan is easy to find, but cheddar cheese, Parmigiano Reggiano, or Romano cheese would all be delicious in this one-pot sausage broccoli pasta.
Sure! You can shred zucchini, chop carrots, chop onions, or slice mushrooms and add them to the sausage.
More Recipes To Try!
Did you love this recipe? If you did, please leave a 5 ⭐️ rating below! Follow along on Instagram and Facebook!
One Pot Sausage and Broccoli Pasta
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 lb Sweet Italian Sausage casing removed
- 4 cloves Garlic Chopped
- 1 lb Pasta Your Favorite Shape
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 4 ½ cups Chicken Broth or water
- 2 cups Broccoli Florets
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese
- In a large skillet with a top, add the olive oil. Heat it over medium-high heat for one minute. Add the sausage and cook for 4-5 minutes until the sausage is cooked through.
- Add the chopped garlic to the sausage and cook for 1 minute. Make sure to scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon so get all the brown bits.
- Add the pasta to the pan and the chicken broth. Season with Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper. Stir to make sure all pasta is in the chicken broth.
- Add the broccoli to the top of the pasta and do not stir. Lower the heat to medium heat. Close the lid of the skillet and cook for 7-8 minutes or until the pasta is al dente.
- When the pasta is cooked, open the lid, add the parmesan cheese and give the pasta a good stir. Serve immediately.
Leave a Reply