Healthy, easy, and no fuss clean up, this chicken drumstick sheet pan dinner is a no brainer on busy weeknights! Add all the ingredients to a sheet pan, bake, and you'll have a delicious dinner on the table for your family in under an hour!
Sheet pan dinners are a must on busy weeknights. With only one sheet pan to clean up, it's saves on dishes too! Make sure you check out these Sheet pan brats and these Sheet pan chicken fajitas for some other easy dinner ideas!
Why You Should Make This Dinner
- It's super easy clean up! The vegetables are chopped and added to a sheet pan, and the chicken is marinated in a Ziploc bag and added to the vegetables. Bake it up and you're done!
- It's versatile! I chose to use Brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes, and mushrooms, but broccoli, cauliflower, baby potatoes, and zucchini would all work in this recipe.
- It's easy to make! When you have busy days, you want your nights to be easy and not stress-filled. No need to slave over the stove or babysit a pot. The oven does all the hard work for you!
When I made this for my family, my daughter said "Mom, can you make this again, I love it!". If that isn't a ringing endorsement, I don't know what is!
Ingredients You'll Need
- Chicken- drumsticks work perfectly here because they have more fat than chicken breasts and have lots of flavor. My kids love eating them because they get to use their hands!
- Veggies- With Fall just around the corner where I live, I chose some more Autumnal veggies. Broccoli, cauliflower, or white potatoes would be great substitutes here
- Marinade- A simple marinade of red wine vinegar and olive oil is all I used here. If you have a favorite chicken marinade that is vinegar based, feel free to use that!
Equipment You'll Need
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Cups
- Ziploc Bags
- Parchment Paper or Silicone Mat
- Baking Sheet
- Meat Thermometer
Step by Step Photos
How To Make This Chicken Drumstick Sheet Pan Dinner From Scratch
In under an hour you'll have a healthy, easy, kid friendly dinner on any busy weeknight.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a gallon Ziploc bag, add the chicken drumsticks, vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Shake that around in the bag to get the drumsticks well coated. Seal the bag and place it in the refrigerator while you chop the veggies.
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes and add them to a parchment or silicone mat lined baking sheet.
- Cut the ends off the Brussel sprouts and add them to the baking sheet.
- Wash the mushrooms and cut them in half. Add them to the baking sheet.
- Top the vegetables with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 teaspoons of garlic powder. Add ½ teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper and mix the vegetables so the seasonings coat them.
- Add the chicken drumsticks to the top of the vegetables.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven for 50 minutes, or until the chicken is completely cooked through. Serve immediately.
Make sure not to overcrowd the pan. You want the vegetables to roast instead of steam. Give a little bit of space and make sure the vegetables are not on top of each other when they go into the oven.
How do I know when the chicken is done?
The internal temperature of chicken should be 165 degrees. If you have a meat thermometer insert it into the thickest part of the drumstick and make sure it says 165 degrees. Otherwise, cut a drumstick and ensure that the meat is not pink or that there are no pink juices coming out of the meat.
Can Chicken Breasts be used instead?
Chicken breasts cook a lot faster than chicken drumsticks, because chicken breasts are white meat and have less fat. I wouldn't substitute chicken breasts in this recipe as they will just dry out in the long oven bake. You could substitute chicken thighs here instead, bone in.
Frequently Asked Questions
This is a delicious dinner is perfect on its own, but if you wanted to add a little freshness, a side salad would be a great addition to this dinner.
Balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar, and even champagne vinegar would be great substitutions. If you have a favorite chicken marinade or Italian dressing, you can use that instead of making your own.
The sky is the limit! Change up the veggies, and also change up the spices! Instead of an Italian style dinner:
- Add chili powder for a more Mexican theme. Use tequila and lime in place of the red wine vinegar.
- Use your favorite barbecue dry rub and don't worry about marinating the chicken drumsticks for an indoor barbecue style dinner.
- If you have extra herbs, try using fresh herbs instead of dry herbs in the Ziploc bag with the marinade.
More Recipes You Might Enjoy
Did you give this Chicken Drumstick Sheet Pan Dinner a try? I’d love to hear from you! Give me a shout on Instagram or Facebook and share this recipe on Pinterest! And don't forget to check out some other drool worthy recipes below! Thanks for sharing this journey with me and enjoy these delicious recipes!
- Orzo Pesto Pasta Salad
- Taco Stuffed Peppers
- Instant Pot Chicken Pesto Pasta
- Nutella Zucchini Bread
- Broccoli Cheddar Quiche with Tortilla Crust
- Spinach and Feta Egg Cups
- Instant Pot Peach Jam
- Light and Crisp Sourdough Waffles
Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn small commission from qualifying purchases, however this is at no cost to you.
Chicken Drumstick Sheet Pan Dinner
- 1 lb Chicken Drumsticks 8 drumsticks
- 1 Sweet Potato Large
- 1 ½ cups Mushrooms 1 8 ounce package
- 3 cups Brussel Sprouts 1 lb bag
- ⅓ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil plus 2 Tablespoons
- ¼ cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- In a Ziploc bag, place the 8 drumsticks. Top with the red wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning, ⅓ cup of extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Seal the bag and place it in the refrigerator while you hop the vegetables.
- Peel and chop the sweet potato into bite sized pieces. Place them on a baking sheet lined with a silicone pad or parchment paper.
- Clean and chop the Brussel sprouts and mushrooms. Add them to the baking sheet.
- Top the vegetables with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 teaspoons of garlic powder, ½ teaspoon of salt, and ½ teaspoon of pepper.
- Take the drumsticks out of the refrigerator and arrange them on top of the vegetables.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven for 50° minutes, until the chicken is completely cooked through. Serve immediately.
- The internal temperature of chicken should be 165.
- Use your favorite veggies! Broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, red peppers, and baby potatoes are all great additions to this dinner.
Leave a Reply