Ready in under 45 minutes, Instant Pot Chicken Stew is a comforting and filling weeknight dinner to make for your family! Serve this rich stew with your favorite crusty bread and top with freshly grated parmesan cheese!
Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases, however this is at no cost to you. Read my disclosure policy here.
In the Winter, there is nothing better than a warm, filling stew. The Instant Pot is the best appliance to make soup or stew in because it's a dump and go kind of appliance.
Don't forget to check out these other Instant Pot soups that are sure to warm you on the coldest of nights!
- Loaded Instant Pot Cauliflower Soup
- Simple Instant Pot Split Pea Soup
- Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
- Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
- Creamy Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Instant Pot Minestrone Soup
Why You'll Love This Chicken Stew
- It's full of healthy ingredients! Carrots, potatoes, and chicken thighs are the main ingredients in this stew.
- It's dairy free! A lot of chicken stews are full of cream or cream cheese. While that's delicious, sometimes it's nice to change it up.
- It's very easy to make! The Instant Pot does all the hard work for you. No need to babysit this stew and make sure it doesn't stick to your pot.
Ingredients You'll Need
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs- Boneless is important because you don't want to be fishing out bones from your stew. If you prefer, you can use boneless, skinless chicken breasts for a lighter stew.
- Potatoes- Red potatoes hold their texture and shape the best. You want a waxy potato, not one that would be used for mashed potatoes as they would fall apart under the pressure of the Instant Pot. No need to peel them. The skins are very thin and add some more fiber to the stew.
- Carrots- 2 medium carrots or one large carrot, peeled and cut into pieces.
- White Wine- I used Pinot Grigio. Use your favorite white wine that you would drink. Cooking the wine brings out the flavor, so you want to make sure it's a type of wine you like to drink.
- Chicken Broth- Low sodium is best so the stew is not overly salty.
- Tomato Sauce- One 14 ounce can. The tomato sauce adds a deep, richness to the stew.
- Frozen Peas- To add a pop of flavor and color. We are just going to cook the peas through.
Equipment For Instant Pot Chicken Stew
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Stew!
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Turn the Instant Pot on "Sauté". Add the olive oil and chicken to the Instant Pot. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped onions to the Instant Pot and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Chop the potatoes and carrots and add them to the Instant Pot along with the tomato sauce, chicken broth, and spices.
- Close the Instant Pot and cancel the "Saute" feature. Turn the Instant Pot of "High" for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, allow the Instant Pot to naturally release for 10 minutes.
- Release any remaining pressure and open the lid. Turn the Instant Pot to "saute" and add the frozen peas. Cook for 2 minutes to heat up the peas.
Step By Step Photos
How To Make Chicken Stew On The Stove
To make this Instant Pot Chicken Stew, use a heavy bottomed Dutch Oven. Add the olive oil and cut up chicken thighs. Turn the stove on medium heat and saute for 5 minutes. Add the onions and saute for another 2 minutes.
Add the peeled and chopped carrots as well as the potatoes. Top with the chicken broth, tomato sauce, and spices. Cook for 30-40 minutes, stirring throughout the cooking process to make sure the stew does not stick to the bottom of the pot. Add the frozen peas to the pot in the last 5 minutes of cooking to heat the peas through. Serve immediately.
Making Chicken Stew in the Slow Cooker
To make this in the slow cooker, simply add all the ingredients except the frozen peas to the bowl of the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
In the last 30 minutes of cooking, add the peas to the slow cooker and stir to combine the peas with the rest of the stew.
Tips and Tricks
- To make this stew thicker, mash the potatoes in the Instant Pot before serving. The pieces of potato will thicken the stew.
- If you don't want to cut the chicken when it is raw, you can add the full sized thighs to the Instant Pot and then shred the meat once it is cooked.
- Change up the vegetables! Use your favorite vegetables in this stew. Zucchini, red peppers, mushrooms, celery, winter squash, or sweet potatoes.
- Chicken stew is best served with crusty bread like sourdough bread or sourdough dinner rolls.
Frequently Asked Questions
This stew is best made and served right away. The longer the stew sits, the mushier the vegetables and potatoes get. I don't suggest storing this stew for any amount of time.
Since there is no flour in the stew, it is gluten free. Just make sure that the chicken broth you are using is gluten free as well.
Yes! If you don't want to use white wine or you don't have white wine, simply leave it out and add ½ cup more chicken broth.
Other Recipes To Try
Did you love this Instant Pot Chicken Stew? I'd so appreciate it if you would give this recipe a 5-star review! That will help other hungry readers find my recipes!
- Peppermint Bark Brownie Mix Cookies
- Brown Sugar and Walnut Mini Tarts
- Brown Butter and Pecan Cookies
- Nutella Thumbprint Cookies
- Cinnamon and Sugar Kefir Snickerdoodles
- Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake Bars
- All in One Apple Cake
Chicken Stew- In the Instant Pot!
- Instant Pot
- 2 lbs Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs Cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Onion Large
- 2 Carrots Medium, cleaned and cut into pieces
- 6 Red Potatoes Cleaned and cut into chunks
- 14 ounces Chicken Broth Low Sodium
- 14 ounces Tomato Sauce
- ½ cup White Wine Your favorite variety
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 cup Frozen Peas
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Turn the Instant Pot on "saute".
- Cut the chicken thighs into chunks and add them to the Instant Pot with the olive oil. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped onion and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the chopped carrots and potatoes as well as the chicken broth, white wine, tomato sauce, and Italian seasoning.
- Close the lid of the Instant Pot and set the pressure to "High" for 20 minutes.
- Let the Instant Pot naturally release for 10 minutes.
- Release any leftover pressure and open the lid. Add the peas and turn the Instant Pot to "saute" for 2 minutes to heat the peas through.
- Serve with crusty bread or parmesan cheese.
- Use your favorite type of white wine. Pinot Grigio is a good option for this recipe.
- No need to peel the potatoes as the skin of red potatoes is very thin and easy to eat.
- This recipe is best served right away. The longer it sits the mushier the vegetables will get.