Creamy, spicy, and ready in less than an hour, this Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup is full of your favorite Tex-Mex flavors! Using ingredients you probably already have in the house, this soup will warm you on the coldest of nights!
Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases, however this is at no cost to you.
Chicken tortilla soup is one of my favorite soups! We used to make Joan Lunden's recipe a lot when I was a kid, and it was delicious! To take it up a level, I decided to try to make a chicken tortilla soup in my favorite kitchen appliance, the Instant Pot!
I love making soup in the Instant Pot because it's a chop and drop kind of recipe. You add everything to the Instant Pot, set it, and come back when it beeps. No need to babysit the soup while it cooks. It doesn't get better than that!
And the best part of the soup, you get to LOAD it up with your favorite toppings!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It's full of your favorite Tex-Mex flavors! Cumin, chili powder, tomatoes with chili, black beans, and corn. It's a flavor explosions!
- It's a great make ahead meal! This meal can be made on a Sunday and then reheated throughout the week for lunch or dinner.
- It's ready in under an hour. Add the ingredients to the Instant Pot when you get home, do what you need to do to get comfy, then come back and enjoy a hot bowl of soup!
What is Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup?
Chicken tortilla soup is a Tex-Mex inspired soup. It is usually in a tomato broth, and includes ingredients like beans, corn, and chicken. It has a little bit of heat as most Mexican soups do.
Chicken is the most common protein to use, but turkey, beef, or pork can be used instead. It is usually topped with baked or fried pieces of tortilla, sour cream, and chunks of cheese.
Ingredients You'll Need
- Canned goods- Black beans and corn, both should be drained and rinsed. Tomatoes with chili to add a little heat, and diced tomatoes to add some texture. No need to drain the canned tomatoes.
- Chicken Breast- About one pound. These days chicken breasts seem to be huge, so I find that one is enough.
- Chicken broth- low sodium so the soup does not get overly salty.
- Cream Cheese and cheddar- To make the soup creamy.
- Instant Pot- You will need at least a 6 quart Instant Pot to make this recipe. Anything smaller and the soup will not fit.
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Spoons
Let's Make Creamy Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup!
Set the Instant Pot to "saute". Cut the cream cheese into chunks and set it aside. Chop the onion and garlic and add it to the Instant Pot with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Saute for 2 minutes until the onion just starts to become translucent. Add the chicken breast and the seasonings.
Top the chicken breast with the drained cans of black beans and corn. Add the two cans of tomatoes and their juices, as well as the chicken broth. Turn the "saute" mode off and set the Instant Pot to "high" for 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes, allow the Instant Pot to naturally release for 10 minutes. Once 10 minutes is up, carefully release any remaining pressure. Remove the chicken from the soup and shred it with two forks. Add the chicken back to the soup and add in the chunked cream cheese and cheddar cheese. Turn the Instant Pot back on "saute" and cook for 2-3 minutes until the cheeses have melted. Serve immediately!
Slow Cooker Method
To make this creamy chicken tortilla soup in the slow cooker, add all the ingredients to the slow cooker except the cheeses.
Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. After the cooking process has finished, take the chicken breast out and shred it. Place it back into the slow cooker and add the cream cheese and cheddar cheese. Stir until the cheese has melted and serve.
What To Serve This Soup With
- Top this soup with baked tortillas or dip a big piece of sourdough bread into it. Sourdough dinner rolls also make a great dipper!
- Serve this soup with a side of quesadillas for a filling dinner.
- Top with your favorite Tex-Mex soup toppings such as:
- Sliced Jalapenos
- Sour cream
- Crumbled cheese
- Your favorite salsa
- A squeeze of lime
Tips and Tricks
- The Instant Pot might bring up some broth when you release the pressure. Release the pressure very carefully so broth does not end up all over your kitchen.
- An easy way to shred the chicken is to add it to the bowl of a Kitchen-aid stand mixer. Turn the Kitchen-aid stand mixer on for 1 minute and you have perfectly shredded chicken!
- Instead of chicken breast, substitute rotisserie chicken, turkey, or boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- 1 cup of frozen corn can be used instead of canned corn
Frequently Asked Questions
It will last 4-5 days in an air tight container in the refrigerator. Do not refrigerate the soup with toppings. To reheat, add the soup to a microwave safe bowl and reheat the soup, then top with your favorite toppings.
Yes! Make sure that the soup is completely cooled and add the soup to air tight containers or freeze friendly Ziploc bags. Make note of when you are placing the soup in the freezer, and it will stay for 3-4 months in the freezer. To defrost the soup, place it in the refrigerator and allow it to defrost slowly.
Yes! If you want to eliminate that "creamy" portion of this chicken tortilla soup, feel free! Leave out the cream cheese and the cheddar cheese and you'll still have a delicious, easy soup.
Other Recipes To Try!
Did you love this Creamy Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup? I'd so appreciate it if you would give this recipe a 5 star review! That will help other hungry readers find my recipes!
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Soup
- Instant Pot Ham and Potato Soup
- Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup
- Hearty Instant Pot Minestrone Soup
- Roasted Cherry Tomato Soup
Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Onion ½ cup diced
- 2 Garlic cloves Minced
- 1 can Fire roasted tomatoes 14 ounces
- 1 can Tomatoes with Chili 10 ounce can, such as Rotel
- 1 can Black Beans 14 ounce can, rinsed and drained
- 1 can Canned Whole Corn 14 ounce can, rinsed and drained
- 1 lb Chicken Breast
- 6 cups Chicken Broth Low Sodium
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 tablespoon Chili powder
- 4 tablespoon Cream Cheese
- 1 cup Cheddar Shredded
- Cut the cream cheese into cubes and set it aside.
- Set the Instant Pot to "saute" and add the olive oil, chopped onions, and minced garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the onions and garlic start to soften.
- Add the chicken, seasonings, drained black beans, drained corn, tomatoes with chili, fire roasted tomatoes, and chicken broth to the Instant Pot. Seal the lid and set the Instant Pot to "High" for 15 minutes.
- Once the cooking has finished, allow the Instant Pot to naturally release for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, carefully release any remaining pressure. Take the chicken breast out and shred the chicken between two forks. Add the chicken back to the soup.
- Open the lid of the Instant Pot and add the cubed cream cheese and shredded cheddar. Set the Instant Pot back to "saute" and allow the cheese to melt for 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
- The Instant pot will take 10-15 minutes to come up to pressure.
- Be very careful when releasing any remaining pressure. The Instant Pot may bring up broth from the soup and spray it out the top. Please be very careful.
- Rotisserie chicken can be used instead of raw chicken breast.
- 1 cup of frozen corn can be used instead of canned corn.
- You will need at least a 6 quart Instant Pot to make this recipe, anything smaller and the soup will not fit.