Ready in 20 minutes, these 3 Ingredient Dinner Rolls are so easy to make! These easy rolls do not require any butter, any resting, or any yeast!
Bread rolls are a must make for the holidays or when you are serving a delicious, hearty soup! Instead of taking the time to let the bread dough rise, kneading the dough, and then letting the dough rest again, just make them with self-rising flour!
Homemade bread is so delicious and so fun to make, but it can be intimidating. Not with these rolls though! No need to knead the dough, let it rise, or take a long time to make. They are simple and quick!
These fluffy dinner rolls will become a new family favorite with Instant Pot Vegetable Barley Soup, Instant Pot Broccoli and Cheddar Soup, Instant Pot Hamburger Soup, Instant Pot Quinoa Soup, or Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana.
Ingredients You'll Need
You only need a few basic ingredients to make these quick dinner rolls!
- Self-rising flour. I like King Arthur, but there are a lot of brands that you can find in your local grocery store.
- Sour Cream. Full fat sour cream is best. Low fat or fat free our cream will add a little too much liquid to the dough and you will need to add more flour to the dough.
- Milk. Whole milk is what we are using, but you can use 2% or your favorite non-dairy milk in this recipe.
Different Types of Flours
Self-rising flour is all purpose flour that has baking powder (the leavening agent) and a small pinch of salt already in it. Classic southern recipes usually use self-rising flour instead of plain flour. Even though some people may think it is self-raising flour, it is actually self-rising flour. I love making banana bread with self-rising flour and pancakes with self-rising flour!
King Arthur is my favorite variety of self-rising flour. If you don't have a bag of it in your pantry, you can make your own self-rising flour really easily!
Cake Flour is used to make cakes. It is a finer flour so the cakes stay nice and light and airy. It usually has a lower protein content as well so cakes don't get tough.
Bread flour is used to make breads like sourdough bread. It has a higher protein content which helps develop the gluten in bread. Bread flour is also made from a harder whole wheat flour, so it holds up better to making bread and the kneading process.
Let's Make 3 Ingredient Dinner Rolls!
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set that aside.
In a large bowl, add the dry ingredients. Add the sour cream and milk and mix well.
With an ice cream scoop, scoop the dough evenly onto a baking sheet. Add a little flour to your hands and roll the dough balls between your hands to shape them. Place them on the baking sheet.
Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake for 15-18 minutes. The rolls should be golden brown when they are done. Allow them to cool slightly before serving. Serve immediately.
- Top the rolls with melted butter or an egg wash before baking to add a little more decadence to the rolls.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds or poppy seeds on the dough balls after spraying them with cooking spray or brushing olive oil on the rolls. The oil will help the seeds stick to the rolls.
- To make them a little sweeter, sprinkle them with brown sugar and cinnamon and bake them. They will have a cinnamon streusel top that would be perfect for dessert!
The great thing about this easy recipe is that there are lots of make-ahead options! You can make the dough ahead and the rolls ahead of time! Here's how!
To make the dough ahead of time, mix everything together and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Place the dough in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. When you are ready to bake the rolls, scoop the dough balls onto the baking sheet and bake them.
To make the rolls ahead of time, bake them completely and then allow them to cool to room temperature. Keep them in an airtight container up to 4 days. You can also freeze these rolls in a freezer safe bag for 3 months. Defrost them right on your counter.
Frequently Asked Questions
Believe it or not, you can use mayonnaise instead of sour cream! To make easy mayonnaise rolls, just replace the sour cream with mayonnaise and follow the rest of the recipe as it is. You can also use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
You can serve them with your favorite soup, or you can even serve these rolls topped with butter and apple butter, pear butter, or your favorite strawberry jam, blueberry jam, peach jam, or mixed berry jam.
Definitely! Just make sure to line the muffin tin with cupcake liners so the dinner rolls don't stick to the pan.
Not for this recipe. You will need self rising flour to get the rise from the baking powder that is in the flour.
More Bread Recipes
- Sweet Potato Rolls
- Sourdough Cinnamon Raisin Bread
- Instant Pot Bread
- Instant Pot Sourdough Bread
- Sourdough Dinner Rolls
- Instant Pot Dinner Rolls
Did you love this recipe? If you did, please leave a 5 ⭐️ rating below! Follow along on Instagram and Facebook!
3 Ingredient Dinner Rolls
- 2 cups Self Rising Flour
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- ¼ cup Sour Cream Full Fat
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, milk, and sour cream. Mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- With an ice cream scoop, evenly scoop the dough onto the baking sheet.
- Roll the dough in your hands to smooth out the dough. Add a little flour to your hands as the dough can be sticky. Place the rolls back on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the rolls are golden brown.
- Allow them to cool slightly and then serve with butter.
- Add sesame seeds or poppy seeds to the rolls by melting butter, brushing the melted butter on the rolls, and sprinkling the seeds on the rolls before baking.
- This is a sticky dough, so add a little extra flour to your hands so the rolls do not stick when you are shaping them. You can also roll them on a lightly floured surface to shape them.
Leave a Reply