Fajitas are a flavorful family dinner to enjoy any night of the week, and this is 40 amazing ideas for what to serve with Fajitas! You'll find some of the best side dishes, drinks, and even desserts! There's something for everyone!
There's nothing better than an easy, flavorful dinner during the week, and it doesn't get better than delicious fajitas!
If you haven't made fajitas for your family, you have to give them a try! The smoky flavor, crisp veggies, and then topped with cool sour cream, it doesn't get better!
The next time you make fajitas, make sure you check out these delicious side dishes to serve for a fully, delicious meal!
What are Fajitas?
Served in many Mexican restaurants, fajitas are actually a Tex-Mex dish. Though some may think they are part of Mexican cuisine, they aren't a traditional Mexican dish.
Fajitas are a main dish whose main ingredients include strips of meat with strips of bell peppers and onions. The fajita meat and veggies are usually served in a tortilla wrap with a delicious side dish.
How To Make Fajitas
You can use the meat of your choice in homemade fajitas. Cook the meat in a little bit of olive oil in a saute pan. When the meat is cooked completely, remove it from the pan.
Chop the bell peppers and onions. Place them in the saute pan with olive oil. Saute until the veggies are soft.
Add your protein of choice to the pan and mix everything together. Add taco seasoning to the pan and mix all the ingredients together.
Squeeze some lime juice on the pan and serve the fajitas immediately with your favorite toppings.
Different Types of Fajitas
- Chicken fajitas
- Steak fajitas
- Shrimp fajitas
- Veggie fajitas
- Combination fajitas. Use your favorite flavor combinations and make shrimp and steak fajitas or shrimp and chicken fajitas.
What Do You Put on a Fajita?
Just like with tacos, the best part of the fajitas are the toppings! Serve the fajitas in corn tortillas or flour tortillas.
- Sour cream
- Slices ripe avocados
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sliced jalapenos
- Serve the fajita filling with lime wedges so everyone can add fresh lime juice to their own fajitas.
Side Dishes for Fajitas
- Rice. A classic side dish for a fajita dinner is rice. Whether it's rice and beans, Spanish rice, Mexican rice, or cilantro lime rice.
- Salsa. You can make your own or store bought is great too! Salsa verde, pico de gallo, mango salsa, or corn salsa.
- Beans. Refried beans are classic in restaurants when ordering fajitas.
- Salad. At a dinner party, a great side dish is always salad. Mexican street corn salad, Caesar salad, or a classic garden salad is always a hit!
- Margaritas! Though not technically a "side dish", fajitas need to be served with your favorite margarita!
Frequently Asked Questions
The difference between fajitas and tacos is that tacos come fully assembled to the table when at a restaurant. Fajitas are made by each person right at the table.
A great way to keep fajitas fresh is to keep them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The next day, when you are ready to serve the fajitas, heat them up in a pan or in the microwave and serve them with your favorite tortillas.
If you don't have taco seasoning, simply use 2 teaspoon of chili powder, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, ½ teaspoon garlic powder or onion powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon brown sugar. Mix that together and add it to the pan with the veggies and your protein of choice.