Full of fresh cilantro and lime juice, this Cilantro Lime Aioli is the perfect recipe to keep on hand to jazz up your sandwiches or fish tacos! It's so easy to make and only requires a few simple ingredients!
Homemade aioli often requires olive oil, eggs, and a food processor or immersion blender to make homemade mayonnaise. We are skipping some steps and using store bought mayonnaise, which is just as good and easier!
This cilantro lime aioli sauce is a fun change up from your standard mayonnaise! It's full of delicious, fresh flavors and brightens any dish it is served with!
Ingredients You'll Need
- Full Fat Mayonnaise- Use your favorite variety. You can even use vegan mayo if you prefer. Low fat or fat free can be used as well, it will just be a little thinner consistency.
- Cilantro- Fresh cilantro can be found at almost any grocery store.
- Fresh Lime Juice- To add some brightness to the heavy mayo. You can use fresh lemon juice instead of lime juice if you had that on hand.
- Fresh Garlic- For a little more spice! (Optional!)
What is an Aioli Sauce?
A homemade aioli is an emulsified sauce of olive oil or avocado oil and egg yolks. You would place egg yolks into the food processor and add the oil as the food processor is going. Then the food processor would create the mayonnaise.
In this recipe, we are using a mayonnaise base which cuts out the need to emulsify the eggs and oil. You could call this recipe more of a cilantro lime mayonnaise if you really wanted to get into the nitty gritty
Equipment To Gather
No crazy equipment necessary! All you need are some mixing bowls, measuring cups, measuring spoons, and a mixing spoon. A citrus squeezer is helpful to have on hand but you can squeeze the limes by hand if you want.
How To Make Cilantro Lime Aioli
In a small bowl, add one cup mayonnaise and two tablespoons of chopped cilantro. Grate the cloves of garlic and squeeze the lime juice into the bowl and season with salt and black pepper. Stir well.
Place the lime aioli into the refrigerator to chill for at least one hour before serving. Grate some lime zest on the aioli right before serving for even more lime flavor.
- If you do not lime raw garlic or find it is too potent, feel free to use garlic powder instead.
- Make it spicy! Add some crushed red pepper flakes or a squeeze of sriracha to make this a spicier dipping sauce!
- Make it a little healthier! If you like healthy recipes and want to cut back on the fat, use ½ cup of mayonnaise and ½ cup of Dijon mustard.
How To Serve Lime Aioli
- As a dipping sauce! Dip red peppers, carrot sticks, or your favorite veggies right into this sauce.
- With fries! Lots of people dip French fries or sweet-potato fries right into mayonnaise based dipping sauces. They would be delicious with zucchini fritte too!
- With your favorite protein! Whether baking your protein on a baking sheet or using your air fryer, this aioli is delicious to serve with them all! I like dipping turkey tenderloins or chicken drumsticks into the aioli!
- On a burger! Mayonnaise on a burger is classic! You can add it to your favorite vegan burger, beef burger, or even chicken burger!
Frequently Asked Questions
This lime aioli needs to be refrigerated at all times. Keep the aioli in an airtight container in your refrigerator or in a mason jar. It will stay fresh up to 5 days.
Yes! Simply use your favorite brand of vegan mayonnaise instead of full fat mayonnaise.
Sure! If your grocery store has a garlic mayonnaise feel free to use that and leave out the garlic.
More Easy Recipes
Simple Cilantro Lime Aioli
- 1 cup Mayonnaise Full Fat
- 2 tablespoon Cilantro Chopped
- 1 tablespoon Lime Juice Fresh
- 1 Garlic Clove Optional
- Salt and Pepper To Taste
- In a small bowl, add one cup mayonnaise and two tablespoons of chopped cilantro. Grate the cloves of garlic and squeeze the lime juice into the bowl and season with salt and black pepper. Stir well.
- Place the lime aioli into the refrigerator to chill for at least one hour before serving. Grate some lime zest on the aioli right before serving for even more lime flavor.
- This aioli needs to be kept refrigerated at all times.
- To make this recipe vegan, use your favorite vegan mayonnaise.
- Low fat or fat free mayonnaise can be used instead, the consistency will be thinner.
- Allow the aioli to chill for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator before serving to meld the flavors together.