Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Brown Rice is a simple recipe made with only 5 ingredients and ready in just about 30 minutes. This rice is perfect for burrito bowls or as a perfect side dish to your favorite dinner!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases. However this is at no cost to you. Read my affiliate links full disclosure policy here.
Brown rice can take a really long time to cook on the stovetop or in a rice cooker. Using your electric pressure cooker cuts the time down and gets dinner on the table so much faster!
This rice is full of fresh flavor from the fresh lime juice and fresh cilantro. Don't go out to eat and spend tons of money Mexican restaurants or on Chipotle's cilantro lime rice, it's so easy to make at home! There's no olive oil either, in case you are watching your calories!
Making grains in the Instant Pot is so easy and cuts down on the time it takes to cook. You can make white rice, orzo, or couscous right in your Instant Pot!
Ingredients You'll Need
- Brown rice. Long grain brown rice is what we are using and most commonly found in your local grocery store.
- Water. Chicken broth or vegetable broth can be used for a little more flavor.
- Lime. We are going to use both the lime juice and the lime zest for lots of fresh lime flavor. Lemon juice can be used in place of lime juice.
- Cilantro. Fresh cilantro is best. If you have dried cilantro, just use a tablespoon instead of the full amount.
- Salt. For added flavor.
What is Brown Rice?
Unlike plain rice, brown rice is a type of rice that is higher in fiber and nutrition because it still has the bran and germ around the rice kernel. Because of this though, it takes much longer to cook than your standard white rice. You can use brown rice anywhere you would use white rice.
Equipment To Gather
- Instant Pot. I have a 6-quart Instant Pot that I use, and I love it! If you have a 3-quart Instant Pot, half this recipe.
- Measuring Cups
- Liquid Measuring Cup
How To Make Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Brown Rice
Add the water and brown rice to the Instant Pot. Stir the ingredients together so the rice does not stick to the bottom.
Close the lid and set the cook time to 15 minutes on high pressure or press the "rice" button on your Instant Pot making sure the cooking time is 15 minutes.
Let the Instant Pot natural release completely. This should take 10 minutes. Quick release any remaining pressure. While the Instant Pot naturally releases, chop the cilantro.
Open the lid of the Instant Pot and add the lime juice and cilantro. Fold in the ingredients, garnish with some lime zest, and serve immediately.
Frequently Asked Questions
Store leftover rice in an airtight container for 3-4 days. This brown rice will freeze well too! For best results, do not add cilantro or the lime to the rice if you would like to freeze it. Add the brown rice to a freezer bag or a freezer safe container. The brown rice will stay fresh for up to 3 months. When you are ready to serve the rice, place it in the refrigerator and then reheat the rice. Fold in the cilantro and lime right before serving.
For 2 cups of brown rice, use 4 cups of water. Place the rice and water in a sauce pan and cover the sauce pan. Cook for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes, fluff the rice and add the cilantro and lime juice. Cooking on the stovetop takes a lot of time, so if you can, the Instant Pot is the way to go!
You can serve this flavorful rice with any of your favorite Mexican recipes. You can add this rice, refried beans or black beans, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, and shredded cheese for an easy, vegetarian dinner. Top this rice with your favorite shredded chicken or add it right to the tortilla shell for a burrito. This recipe is so versatile and perfect for meal prep too!
Other Recipes To Try!
- More Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Mexican Rice
- Chicken Fajitas in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Quinoa Vegetable Soup
Did you love these ideas? If you did, please leave a 5 ⭐️ rating below! Follow along on Instagram and Facebook!
Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Brown Rice
- 2 cups Long Grain Brown Rice
- 2.5 cups Water
- 2 tablespoon Limes about 2 limes
- ¾ cup Cilantro Chopped
- Salt To Taste
- Add the water, brown rice, and salt to the Instant Pot. Stir the ingredients together so the rice does not stick to the bottom.
- Close the lid and set the cook time to 15 minutes on high pressure or press the "rice" button on your Instant Pot making sure the cooking time is 15 minutes.
- Let the Instant Pot natural release completely. This should take 10 minutes. Quick release any remaining pressure. While the Instant Pot naturally releases, chop the cilantro.
- Open the lid of the Instant Pot and add the lime juice and cilantro. Fold in the ingredients, garnish with some lime zest, and serve immediately.
- Store leftover rice in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
- For added flavor, feel free to use chicken broth or vegetable broth instead of water.
- This recipe yields 4 cups of cooked rice.
Leave a Reply