This No Salt Taco Seasoning is made with only 7 spices that you probably already have in your pantry! You can make a big batch and keep it in a mason jar in your pantry for whenever you make tacos!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases. However this is at no cost to you. Read my affiliate links full disclosure policy here.
Taco mix from the store can be made with all sorts of weird preservatives, so I love making my own seasonings at home. It is so simple and can be kept in a mason jar right in your pantry.
If you are on a low sodium diet or watching your sodium intake, this healthy taco seasoning recipe is for you! It's perfect to add to your favorite Mexican recipes or add right to your ground meat on Taco Tuesday!
Ingredients You'll Need
All these spices can be found right in your local grocery store. One of the best ways to save money is to make is to make your own seasoning. This diy taco seasoning is no exception!
- Chili powder. Ancho chili powder or regular chili powder can be used.
- Ground cumin. A classic ingredient in a lot of Mexican food or spices.
- Black pepper. Fresh ground or pre-ground is great.
- Paprika. Smoked paprika or regular paprika is great.
- Garlic powder.
- Onion powder.
- Oregano. Italian oregano or Mexican oregano will work in this recipe.
- An extra optional ingredient would be red pepper flakes. If you prefer a spicy salt free taco seasoning, feel free to add 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes.
How To Make No Salt Taco Seasoning
Measure out all the ingredients and add them to a mason jar. Mix the ingredients well and cover the container. Keep the mason jar in the pantry for up to 3 months.
If you do not have a mason jar, use an airtight container to keep this spice blend in your pantry.
Frequently Asked Questions
You will want to use 2-3 tablespoons of this taco seasoning per pound of meat in your taco meat.
This seasoning is great in your favorite taco recipes on taco night! You can also use it in taco stuffed peppers or in Instant Pot chicken fajitas. When you are done cooking your ground meat, add the seasoning and ¼ cup of water to loosen the taco meat a little bit. You can also add a cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce if it is too loose.
Use 2-3 tablespoons of seasoning per pound of ground beef. If you prefer to make your family more healthy recipes, feel free to use this seasoning with ground turkey or ground chicken.
Many taco seasoning packets have so much salt in them. When you make your own your can control that. I like to add the salt when I am cooking the meat. Sometimes, ground turkey or ground chicken already has seasoning it in, so you will want to use less salt. Add sea salt right to your saute pan when you are making the meat.
More Recipes to Try!
- Instant Pot Mexican Rice
- Easy Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Salsa Verde Chicken Bake
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
Homemade Taco Seasoning (No Salt!)
- 3 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 tablespoon Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Ground Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- Measure out all the ingredients and add them to a mason jar. Mix the ingredients well and cover the container. Keep the mason jar in the pantry for up to 3 months.
- Add ¼ cup of water to your pan with the ground meat when making tacos and then add the seasoning. This will help make a sauce in your taco meat.
- Feel free to double or triple this recipe and keep a big batch in the pantry in an airtight container or a mason jar.