Layers of spicy salsa verde, shredded chicken, and corn tortillas make this Cheesy Salsa Verde Chicken bake an easy and delicious weeknight meal. With only a few ingredients, it will bake up before the margaritas are ready!
Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn small commission from qualifying purchases, however this is at no cost to you.
What's are the Ingredients?
Chicken- For this recipe I used 3 chicken breasts. I put them in the slow cooker with some salt and garlic powder and ¼ cup of water. They cooked for 4 hours on high and I shredded them when they were done. If you have a rotisserie chicken, that would work perfectly here. Take the chicken apart and shred it. You could also use some leftover roasted chicken. You want to aim for 3-4 cups of shredded chicken.
Corn Tortillas- Don't use flour tortillas here. Corn tortillas are the way to go! When they are baked, corn tortillas hold their shape better, making this dish more of a lasagna. I find that flour tortillas tend to get a little more gummy and don't have the same texture as corn tortillas.
Salsa Verde- For this recipe I used Herdez. If you want to make your own, Skinnytaste has an amazing recipe. Herdez is really delicious and I was happy with the flavor. You could use mild, medium, or hot, just depending on your taste. Salsa Verde is different than regular salsa because instead of tomatoes it uses roasted tomatillos so it gives the salsa a delicious, fire roasted flavor.
How to Make this Recipe
- Make the chicken mixture
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Take the room temperature cream cheese and place it in a bowl. Add the shredded chicken breasts and mix it until everything is combined. Add the corn and continue to mix.
- Time to layer!
In a cast iron skillet or baking dish, add ½ cup of the salsa verde. This helps the corn tortillas from sticking and allows them to fully cook in the salsa. Add four corn tortillas followed by half of the chicken mixture, then more salsa verde, and finally shredded cheese. Continue layering corn tortillas, the rest of the chicken chicken, salsa verde, and the shredded cheese. Finally, layer the last four corn tortillas, the rest of the salsa verde, and top with more shredded cheese.
- Bake it up!
Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. If the cheese starts to get a little brown, simply cover it with aluminum foil and finish baking. Serve with avocado, tomatoes, and more salsa verde if you wish!
Variations of this Salsa Verde Chicken Bake
This recipe is perfect for the freezer! Put everything together and put it in a freezer safe baking dish. Place it in the freezer covered. When you are ready to bake it, place it in the refrigerator to thaw and then bake it. It will last in the refrigerator for about 4-5 days.
You could, but the texture might be a little different. Low fat or fat free cream cheese tends to be a little more watery than full fat cream cheese. Full fat cream cheese gives this a creamier texture.
Yes! If you wanted to take the chicken out completely, you could substitute it with roasted vegetables. Mushrooms, zucchini, and onions would be great. Peppers would be delicious too! Instead of chicken you could use turkey breasts as well.
Other Recipes to Try!
Did you give these Taco Stuffed Peppers a try? I’d love to hear from you! Give me a shout on Instagram or Facebook and let me know!
- Roasted Vegetable Panzanella
- Easy Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Taco Stuffed Peppers
- Quinoa Stuffed Zucchini
Salsa Verde Chicken Bake
- 3 Chicken Breasts Cooked and Shredded
- 1 Jar Salsa Verde 16 ounces. Hot, Medium, or Mild
- 8 tablespoon Cream Cheese One Block, Room Temperature
- 1 Can Corn Drained
- 12 Corn Tortillas
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheese Mexican or Cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese, shredded chicken breasts, and corn.
- In a cast iron skillet, place ½ cup of the salsa verde. Add a layer of four tortillas. Add half of the chicken mixture, ½ cup of salsa verde, and ½ cup of shredded cheese.
- Add another layer of four corn tortillas, the rest of the chicken mixture, ½ cup of salsa verde, and ½ cup of shredded cheese.
- Finally, top with the last four corn tortillas, the rest of the salsa verde, and the rest of the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Cover with aluminum foil if the cheese starts browning too fast.
- Top with avocado and more salsa if you wish. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply