Layers of spicy salsa Verde, shredded chicken, and corn tortillas make this Cheesy Salsa Verde Chicken Bake an easy and delicious weeknight meal. With only a few ingredients, it will bake up before the margaritas are ready!
This mouthwatering dish combines succulent chicken with zesty salsa verde, creating a delightful fusion of tangy and savory notes that will have you coming back for seconds.
In this recipe, tender chicken breasts are generously coated in a vibrant green salsa verde, which is made from a blend of tomatillos, fresh herbs, onions, garlic, and jalapeños. The salsa verde lends a refreshing and tangy kick to the chicken, infusing it with a burst of flavor that is both lively and invigorating. Top this Salsa Verde Chicken Bake with a sweet mango salsa with habaneros!
Ingredients You'll Need
Chicken- For this recipe I used 3 chicken breasts. I put them in the slow cooker with some salt and garlic powder and ¼ cup of water. They cooked for 4 hours on high and I shredded them when they were done. If you have a rotisserie chicken, that would work perfectly here. Take the chicken apart and shred it. You could also use some leftover rotisserie chicken. You want to aim for 3-4 cups of shredded chicken. Another great way to shred chicken is to make Instant Pot Shredded Chicken for this recipe.
Corn Tortillas- Don't use flour tortillas here. Corn tortillas are the way to go! When they are baked, corn tortillas hold their shape better, making this dish more of a lasagna. I find that flour tortillas tend to get a little more gummy and don't have the same texture as corn tortillas.
Salsa Verde- For this recipe I used Herdez. If you want to make your own, Skinnytaste has an amazing recipe. Herdez is really delicious and I was happy with the flavor. You could use mild, medium, or hot, just depending on your taste. Salsa Verde is different than regular salsa because instead of tomatoes it uses roasted tomatillos so it gives the salsa a delicious, fire roasted flavor.
Variations of this Salsa Verde Chicken Bake
- Add veggies! Feel free to add red bell peppers, green bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, or zucchini to this cheesy chicken bake.
- Use another protein! Chicken is a great protein to have, but you can use turkey, ground beef, or pork. A can of black beans would be great to add to the chicken for even more fiber and protein.
- Change up the cheese! Colby jack, white cheddar, sharp cheddar, or spicy Monterey Jack cheese would be great too!
This recipe is perfect for the freezer! Put everything together and put it in a freezer safe baking dish. Place it in the freezer covered. When you are ready to bake it, place it in the refrigerator to thaw and then bake it. It will last in the refrigerator for about 4-5 days.
You could, but the texture might be a little different. Low fat or fat free cream cheese tends to be a little more watery than full fat cream cheese. Full fat cream cheese gives this a creamier texture.
Yes! If you wanted to take the chicken out completely, you could substitute it with roasted vegetables. Mushrooms, zucchini, and onions would be great. Peppers would be delicious too! Instead of chicken you could use turkey breasts as well.
Other Recipes to Try!
- Roasted Vegetable Panzanella
- Easy Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Taco Stuffed Peppers
- Quinoa Stuffed Zucchini
Salsa Verde Chicken Bake
- 3 Chicken Breasts Cooked and Shredded
- 1 Jar Salsa Verde 16 ounces. Hot, Medium, or Mild
- 8 tablespoon Cream Cheese One Block, Room Temperature
- 1 Can Corn Drained
- 12 Corn Tortillas
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheese Mexican or Cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese, shredded chicken breasts, and corn.
- In a cast iron skillet, place ½ cup of the salsa verde. Add a layer of four tortillas. Add half of the chicken mixture, ½ cup of salsa verde, and ½ cup of shredded cheese.
- Add another layer of four corn tortillas, the rest of the chicken mixture, ½ cup of salsa verde, and ½ cup of shredded cheese.
- Finally, top with the last four corn tortillas, the rest of the salsa verde, and the rest of the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Cover with aluminum foil if the cheese starts browning too fast.
- Top with avocado and more salsa if you wish. Enjoy!
- To make this ahead of time, layer all the ingredients together and then place the cast iron skillet in the refrigerator.
- Add your favorite veggies to the mixture.