We are always looking for different soup recipes this time of year, and this Instant Pot lentil soup is a hearty and filling dinner for any night of the week! This is an Instant Pot recipe, but it can easily be made on the stove in a Dutch oven instead of in the Instant Pot. It might take a little longer, but the end result will be just as delicious.
Info about this soup
If you don't have an Instant Pot yet, I would highly recommend one. This is the one I have, and I am thoroughly enjoying it. It makes one pot meals and things that would usually take hours to make, it can make in a fraction of the time. I received mine as a gift for Christmas and it was a great gift!
Lentils are a secret superfood, in my opinion. They provide a ton of plant based protein and there are studies that suggest they can help lower cholesterol and aid in weight loss. They are also super inexpensive making this soup a budget friendly dinner for any night of the week.
Let's Make This Soup!
First, go ahead and preheat your Instant Pot to saute. You'll want to put the olive oil, carrots, onions, garlic, and celery in the olive oil. Cook that until it becomes translucent, about 10 minutes. Once it is translucent, add the seasonings and lentils. Cook that for a minutes more to marry that flavors together.
Then add the chopped tomatoes and chicken broth. Close the Instant Pot and set it to "Soup/Broth". If your Instant Pot does not have that setting, simply set it to 30 minutes. When the 30 minutes is up, you can quick release the top to get all the pressure out. Then, carefully open the lid.
Once the soup is done, you can feel free to serve it as is, or you can puree it. I pureed it to give it a smooth, silky texture. Serve immediately, or you can store it in the refrigerator for about a week, eating it as you would like.
This soup can be made vegan by not topping it with sour cream and using vegetable broth. This easy dal Palak recipe would be another delicious dinner with lentils!
Check out my Roasted Cherry Tomato Soup or Italian Wedding Soup!
Instant Pot Lentil Soup
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Onions Chopped
- 2 Carrots Peeled and Chopped
- 3 Celery Stalks Chopped
- 4 Garlic Cloves Finely Chopped
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Coriander
- 2 teaspoon Turmeric
- 2 teaspoon Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 ½ cups Lentils
- 1 can Chopped Tomatoes 14 ounces
- 48 ounces Chicken Broth or Vegetable Broth 1 large box, Low Sodium
- Turn Instant Pot to "Saute" and add olive oil. When the olive oil heats up, add the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. Cook for 10 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add the spices and lentils to the pot. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes to marry all of the flavors together.
- Add the can of chopped tomatoes and chicken broth to the pot. Stir and then close the Instant Pot. Set it to "Soup/Broth" and let it sit. This setting should cook the soup for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, you could either serve the soup immediately or you could puree the soup with an emersion blender to give a creamy, silky texture. Taste the soup and season with any extra salt and pepper.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links in which I receive a small commission off purchases.
Leave a Reply