These Baked Peanut Butter Donuts are a delicious, homemade treat that are ready in under 30 minutes! Top them with a rich chocolate icing for a tasty snack or dessert!
The chocolate peanut butter lover in your family is going to love these delicious donuts! They are easy to make and topped with a rich, chocolatey glaze! Enjoy these donuts for breakfast or as an afternoon snack.
What Are Baked Donuts?
I know! You think donuts and you automatically think fried, right? Think again! All you need is one or two of donuts pans, and you are set! This recipe makes a dozen donuts, so if you just want to use one pan that's fine, you just need to make them twice.
I tried to make these baked peanut butter donuts even healthier by adding flaxseed meal or whole wheat flour, but I found that when it comes to some things, its better to just enjoy one or two and not worry about the calories and added nutrition. It's all about balance, right?
Ingredients You'll Need
- All Purpose Flour. This holds the donuts together.
- Sugar. For a little bit of sweetness.
- Baking Powder. This will give the donuts their light and airy texture.
- Creamy peanut butter. Your favorite variety.
- Whole milk.
- Coconut oil. Vegetable oil or melted butter can be used instead.
See printable recipe card for full recipe information on ingredients and quantities.
Substitutions and Variations
- Change the chocolate glaze! If you want these plain, serve them plain. You can also cover them in powdered sugar or cinnamon and sugar, or a simple glaze of powdered sugar and whole milk with a little vanilla extract.
- Make them gluten free! Use a 1 to 1 flour that is equivalent of all purpose flour.
- Bake them in the air fryer! To make these air fryer donuts, simply place the pan in the air fryer at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
How To Make Baked Peanut Butter Donuts
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, mix the dry ingredients in one bowl. In a separate large bowl, mix the wet ingredients.
Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix them all together gently. You don't want to overmix them because they will get tough, kind of like how you would make muffins.
Spray a donut pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place the batter into a piping bag or a large Ziploc bag. Clip off the end of the bag and pipe the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
Once the donuts have cooled to room temperature, dip them in a chocolate ganache. You could skip that step all together, you could make a peanut butter glaze, a regular glaze, or just mix the donuts in cinnamon and sugar. I double dipped these donuts in the chocolate frosting. I am making a rule, it's a-ok to double dip to make the chocolate icing thicker! Maybe even triple dip if you really love chocolate!
Let them dry on a wire cooling rack before serving.
Storage Instructions for Baked Peanut Butter Donuts
Store leftovers in an airtight container on the counter for up to 4 days.
You can make the batter ahead of time by mixing all the ingredients together and covering the bowl with plastic wrap. When you are ready, pipe the batter into the prepared donut pan and bake.
These donuts freeze really well too! Freeze them in freezer safe bags or in a freezer safe container. When you are ready to serve them, place them on the counter and let them defrost. Then dip them in the chocolate glaze and serve.
Baked Peanut Butter Donut FAQs
Yes! You can use almond butter, Nutella, cashew butter, or even sunflower butter. Based on how sweet the nut butter is, you may need to add more sugar to get a sweeter donut.
No, these donuts need to be baked. Frying them will make very dense donuts that won't be as good.
Sure! If you have a mini donut pan, these would be a great donut to serve in mini size.
More Breakfast Recipes
Baked Peanut Butter Donuts
- 1 ½ cups All Purpose Flour
- ½ cup Sugar
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- ¼ cup Coconut Oil
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 tablespoon Butter
- ¼ Cup Milk
- ½ Cup Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Spray your donut tins with cooking spray or brush with a neutral oil.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Set that aside.
- In another bowl, mix peanut butter, egg, milk, coconut oil, and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not overmix. Fill the donut pans with the batter. I find the easiest way to do this is by piping the batter into the pan, but you could just as easily spoon it into the pan. The batter will fill 12 donut pans.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes depending on your oven. The donuts should be lightly browned.
- Top the donuts with icing, or roll in cinnamon and sugar. Enjoy immediately.
To Make the Chocolate Glaze
- In a small saucepan, heat the butter and the milk until just combined. Do not boil this mixture. Once it is heated through it is done.
- Put the chocolate chips into a bowl. When the milk and butter mixture is done, pour it over the chocolate and let that sit for a few minutes. After a few minutes, mix the chocolate mixture until everything is evenly combined. It will look curdled at the beginning, but keep stirring and it will all come back together.