These baked peanut butter donuts are a delicious, homemade treat that are ready in under 30 minutes! You can't beat that. If you're like me, you don't really enjoy going to those big donut chains. The donuts just taste fake to me, anyone else? When I can make something at home that I like better than buying, I think that's a win!
Baked Donuts?? What??
I know! You think donuts (or doughnuts? you get what I'm saying!) and you automatically think fried, right? Think again! All you need is one or two of these donut pans, and you are set! This recipe makes a dozen donuts, so if you just want to use one pan that's fine, you just need to make them twice.
Honestly, I tried to make these baked peanut butter donuts even healthier by adding flaxseed meal or whole wheat flour, but I found that when it comes to some things, its better to just enjoy one or two and not worry about the calories and added nutrition. It's all about balance, right?
How do we make these donuts?
They are actually super simple to make. In a nutshell, you have to mix the dry ingredients in one bowl, mix the wet ingredients in another bowl, and then mix them all together gently. You don't want to overmix them because they will get tough, kind of like how you would make muffins. Be gentle mixing everything together at the end and you will have really delicious, moist donuts.
I used a chocolate ganache as the frosting of these donuts. You could skip that step all together, you could make a peanut butter glaze, a regular glaze, or just mix the donuts in cinnamon and sugar. All of those options would be amazing! Helpful hint, I double dipped these donuts in the chocolate frosting. I am making a rule, it's a-ok to double dip to make the chocolate icing thicker! Maybe even triple dip if you're feelings crazy!
Baked Peanut Butter Donuts
- 1 ½ cups All Purpose Flour
- ½ cup Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- ¼ cup Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- ¼ Cup Milk
- ½ Cup Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Spray your donut tins with cooking spray or brush with a neutral oil.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Set that aside.
- In another bowl, mix peanut butter, egg, milk, coconut oil, and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not overmix. Fill the donut pans with the batter. I find the easiest way to do this is by piping the batter into the pan, but you could just as easily spoon it into the pan. The batter will fill 12 donut pans.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes depending on your oven. The donuts should be lightly browned.
- Top the donuts with icing, or roll in cinnamon and sugar. Enjoy immediately.
To Make the Chocolate Glaze
- In a small saucepan, heat the butter and the milk until just combined. Do not boil this mixture. Once it is heated through it is done.
- Put the chocolate chips into a bowl. When the milk and butter mixture is done, pour it over the chocolate and let that sit for a few minutes. After a few minutes, mix the chocolate mixture until everything is evenly combined. It will look curdled at the beginning, but keep stirring and it will all come back together.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links in which I receive a small commission on items purchased.