This apple and walnut crisp is a vegan and gluten free version of the classic dessert.
I'm a big fan of apple crisp. Anyone else? This apple and walnut crisp is a delicious variation of the traditional apple crisp. This one is gluten free and vegan. Instead of using traditional all purpose flour, I used King Arthur Gluten Free flour, but you could use whatever gluten free flour you have on hand.
Instead of using butter, I used coconut oil. Have you used coconut oil before? Surprisingly, when it is cooked, it does not taste at all like coconut. It helps keep the "crisp" part together without the dairy that would normally come from butter.
How to make this recipe
This recipe comes together in no time. I made four ramekins of apple crisp, but if you wanted to make this in a large baking pan, you could easily double this recipe. Each ramekin ended up holding one apple and it cooked down quite a bit, so if you are making this in a bigger pan, you might want to up the amount of apples because you will be able to spread them out more.
I used organic gala apples for this recipe. I love cooking and eating gala apples, so I always have them on hand. If you prefer a more tart apple or an apple that won't cook down as much, you might want to switch out the apple for a Granny Smith or a Cortland apple. Mix up the apples if you want! That would be a great idea too! Check out this easy apple crisp too!
If you did not want to use the coconut oil, you could easily substitute that for butter. It wouldn't be vegan anymore, but it would still be delicious. I topped it with powdered sugar, but I came really close to adding some ice cream on top!
Want some other vegan recipes? Check out my Cherry and Almond Granola or my Roasted Cherry Tomato Soup.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links
Apple and Walnut Crisp
- 4 Organic gala apples
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
Crisp Topping Ingredients
- ¼ cup Gluten Free flour
- ¼ cup Light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon Chopped walnuts
- 2 ½ tablespoon Coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Peel, core, and slice the apples. Place them in a bowl and add the cinnamon and sugar. Toss to coat the apples.
- In a separate bowl, add the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and chopped walnuts. Add the coconut oil one tablespoon at a time and mix everything together. Continue to add the coconut oil until the desired consistency is reached. The topping should stay together in your hands like wet sand when you press it together.
- Add the apples to the ramekins. Top with the crisp topping. I pushed down the crisp onto the apples to ensure that all the apples were covered in topping. Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and place them in the oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes. You may need to cover the ramekins with aluminum foil. Sometimes, exposed apples get a little more browned than the rest of the crisp. If that happens, just place a piece of aluminum foil lightly over the ramekins.
- Serve immediately with powdered sugar or your favorite ice cream (vegan or not).
- Gala apples or Fuji apples can be used interchangeably.
- Instead of ramekins, you can use one large pan. Just make sure it is oven safe.
Leave a Reply