Chicken soup is the ultimate comfort food! When looking for ideas on what to serve with chicken soup, read on for all the delicious recipes!
A bowl of chicken noodle soup seems to warm everyone's heart. When the weather starts to get cold, you can bet we are making some chicken soup. It's the best way to warm your soul!
Lean chicken breasts and warm chicken broth make a bowl of soup the perfect dinner. It's also very easy to make! The Instant Pot or the stovetop do all the work for you!
Frequently Asked Questions About Chicken Soup
Chicken breasts are lean protein and therefore are perfect for chicken soup. They don't add a lot of fat and they are easy to find. If you are making a whole chicken and half some leftovers, pick all the meat off the bones and add it right to a pot of chicken broth. To save time, take the meat from a rotisserie chicken and use that instead of cooking some chicken breasts.
Yes! Chicken soup freezes really well! I have found that if you have noodles or rice in chicken soup, they tend to disintegrate in the soup while it is frozen. If you want to freeze soup, make your favorite chicken soup completely and do not add any noodles or rice. Freeze it in freezer safe containers for up to 3 months. When you are ready to defrost the soup, make the noodles or rice while the soup is defrosting.
Fresh parsley or fresh thyme is classic to top chicken soup with, but you can add cream cheese or goat cheese to make it a creamy soup. Add some red onions for a little bit of spice, or bacon bits for a little more salty crunch.
- Change up the noodles! Egg noodles are classic in chicken soup, but you don't have to add noodles! Chicken and rice soup is just as good as chicken noodle soup. You can also use elbows or ditalini instead of egg noodles to change up the shape of the pasta.
- Add more veggies! Celery, onion, and carrots are classic in chicken soup, but add zucchini, peas, broccoli, or even spinach to make the soup even more filling and delicious.
- Change the protein! Chicken breasts are used a lot in making chicken soup, but you can use chicken thighs, turkey, or even leave out the protein for a veggie forward soup.
What To Serve with Chicken Soup
- Bread. Whether it's a crusty roll, soft pretzel rolls, saltine crackers, or a piece of crusty bread, in my opinion, bread should always be served with soup!
- Salads. Italian chopped salad, tomato and mozzarella salad, potato salad, or your favorite pasta salads are all a great option when thinking of sides for chicken soup.
- Veggies. Sauté up some of your favorite veggies or use your air fryer to make some crispy sweet potato fries or potato puffs to dip right into your soup.
- Sandwiches. Just like you would get in a restaurant, a sandwich and a bowl of soup is a perfect combination. Whether it's grilled cheese sandwiches on hearty sourdough bread, or a vegetable panini full of extra vegetables, a sandwich is always a great side option!
- Soup. A soup bar is a great addition to a party! Add chicken noodle soup to a bar with tomato soup, broccoli cheddar soup, and zuppa toscana for a delicious and easy crowd pleasing spread.