Hummus is an easy dip to make and a healthy one to keep on hand. Keep reading for 40 amazing ideas for what to dip in hummus!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases. However this is at no cost to you. Read my affiliate links full disclosure policy here.
Hummus is always in my refrigerator because it is one of my family's favorite things! My kids love having hummus and carrots for snack and I love it because it's one of the best things that I can give them for snacks. Each week I make my own hummus to keep in the refrigerator because it is so much cheaper than buying the premade hummus at the grocery store.
When you are looking for a snack, hummus is a great option. It's loaded with fiber and protein and will keep you full for a long time!
What is Hummus?
The main ingredient in classic hummus is garbanzo beans or chick peas. Traditional hummus also has tahini (ground sesame seeds) and lemon juice. It's a staple in the middle east and is eaten often throughout the day.
How to Make Hummus
Hummus dip could not be easier to make! I like making Instant Pot hummus, but you have to cook the garbanzo beans in the Instant Pot first.
To make hummus, add 2 cans of drained chick peas, ½ cup of tahini, and the juice of one lemon to a food processor. An optional step is to add ¼ cup of olive oil to the food processor as well. Turn the food processor on and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper and refrigerator the hummus until you are ready to use it.
There are lots of new hummus recipes out there that include creative ideas to enjoy this healthy dip! If you like hummus, you'll love this eggplant dip too!
- Red Pepper Hummus. When making hummus, add a drained jar of roasted red peppers to the rest of the ingredients in the food processor.
- Chocolate Hummus. This might seem strange, but dessert hummus has become all the rage recently! This chocolate hummus recipe is delicious!
- Garlic Hummus. You can add fresh garlic or roasted garlic into the food processor.
- Spicy Hummus. Add sriracha or crushed red pepper flakes to the food processor.
What to Dip In Hummus?
The possibilities are endless on what to dip in hummus! Here are some of the best ways to enjoy this creamy dip!
- Veggies. Bell pepper slices, carrot sticks, snap peas, cucumber slices, celery sticks, or any of your favorite raw vegetables are a delicious way to enjoy hummus.
- Chips. Bagel chips, pita chips, tortilla chips, or black bean chips are all a great addition to a hummus platter.
- Crackers. Wheat things, Triscuits, Ritz crackers, or your favorite rice crackers can also be added to a hummus tray.
- Sandwiches. Though you may not dip a sandwich in hummus, it is a great way to add more flavor to your sandwich or wrap without adding extra fat from mayonnaise.
How Long Does Hummus Last?
Homemade hummus will stay fresh in the refrigerator up to 5 days. The hummus can also stay at room temperature for a bit on a platter, but for prolonged period of time, it should be refrigerated in an airtight container.
Can You Freeze Hummus?
Yes! Surprisingly you can! Make sure you place hummus in a freezer friendly container but it will stay in the freezer up to 3 months. When you are ready to use the hummus, place it in the refrigerator to defrost and then serve the delicious hummus with lots of veggies and crackers.
When serving hummus, add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil to make plain hummus even more delicious!