Baked Sourdough Donuts
Don't throw out that extra sourdough discard! ½ cup and 15 minutes will get you the most delicious and easy baked sourdough donuts! Top them with chocolate icing, roll them in powdered sugar, or cover them is spiced cinnamon sugar for an extra special treat!
- ¼ cup Coconut Oil
- ½ cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs Large
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- ½ cup Sourdough Discard Inactive (unfed)
- 1 ½ cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
Preheat the oven to 375°.
In a medium bowl, mix together the oil and sugar until completely combined.
Add the eggs and vanilla to the bowl and mix well.
Add the sourdough discard and whole milk to the bowl. Mix again until everything is well combined.
Add the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda to the bowl and mix gently until everything until combined. Do not overmix. It's ok if there are a few lumps left in the batter.
Brush the donut pan with melted butter and pipe the batter into the donut pans. Butter the pans well as this batter will easily stick to the pans.
Bake for 12 minutes until the donuts are slightly browned. Cool them on a wire rack.
Top with your favorite toppings when the donuts are cool enough to handle.
- Roll the donuts in powdered sugar for the classic powdered donut.
- Mix ¼ cup of sugar with 1 tablespoon of cinnamon. Roll the donuts in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- To make a chocolate glaze, in a small microwave safe bowl, microwave 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons of butter in 30 second increments, stirring after each increment. It should take about 2 minutes for the chocolate to melted. When the mixture is completely melted, add ¼ cup of whole milk and stir until combined. The mixture will thicken as it cools. Dip the donuts in the chocolate or spoon the chocolate over the donuts for a chocolate glazed donut.
- If you find that the toppings are not staying on the donut or the donuts are too cool, brush some melted butter onto the donuts and then roll them in powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar.
Calories: 141kcalCarbohydrates: 21gProtein: 3gFat: 5gSaturated Fat: 4gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 201mgPotassium: 28mgFiber: 1gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 40IUCalcium: 46mgIron: 1mg