Have some extra bananas laying around that are starting to go brown? No problem! These Sourdough Discard Banana Muffins are a perfect way to use up those bananas and some extra sourdough discard. Easy to make and delicious!
What's in these Muffins?
Sourdough Discard- What is sourdough discard? When you feed your sourdough starter you discard part of it, because if you were to keep feeding your entire starter every time, you would have a literal ton of starter, and when baking you really only need a few ounces. Instead of throwing the extra done the drain, use it to bake! It adds moisture and a little bit of tang to baked goods. After you feed your starter, keep the extra discard in a separate container in the refrigerator and use it whenever you bake. If you need some excellent tips on how to keep a sourdough starter, Deanna over at Homesteadandchill.com has some amazing step by step directions.
Bananas- Make sure the bananas are pretty brown and spotty for this recipe. The spottier they are the sweeter they are. There is brown sugar in this recipe, but the brown bananas add even more sweetness. If you have frozen bananas you could use those too. Defrost them to room temperature and then discard any of the extra liquid that may have come out of them during the freezing process.
Walnuts- This is optional, but I think the walnuts add a nice crunch and texture to these muffins. Bananas and walnuts are a classic combination. If you don't have walnuts, you could use pecans as well. Almonds might be really delicious too.
Cinnamon- This recipe is heavy on cinnamon. I think banana and cinnamon are a fantastic combination. You can add vanilla to this recipe if you wanted as well. I think the cinnamon brings out a little more of the banana flavor. So good!
How Do You Make These Muffins?
Questions About These Muffins?
Sure! Instead of butter, you can use coconut oil or vegetable oil. Either would work perfectly in this recipe.
I have some other really good sourdough discard muffin recipes. These apple streusel sourdough muffins are delicious too! These cranberry orange muffins are also a crowd pleaser especially in the Fall when the cranberries are all over. If you wanted, this would also make a delicious banana bread. Instead of adding the batter to the muffin tins, add it to two loaf tins. Bake for about 35 minutes. Here's a delicious cinnamon streusel banana bread recipe too!
These muffins will keep in an airtight container or a Ziploc bag for about three days on the counter. If you want to freeze them, place them in a Ziploc bag and freeze them for up to three months. To defrost, place them in the toaster for a few minutes and they should come up to temperature quickly.
Other Recipes to Try!
- Roasted Vegetable Panzanella
- Easy Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Broccoli Cheddar Quiche with Tortilla Crust
- Quinoa Stuffed Zucchini
Sourdough Discard Banana Muffins
- ¼ cup Melted Butter Salted or Unsalted
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- ½ cup Sourdough Starter Not fed
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon
- 2 Bananas Brown and spotty
- 1 ½ cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Chopped Walnuts Optional
- Preheat oven to 400°
- In a small bowl, peel and mashed the bananas until they are well pureed. Set that aside.
- In another bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients together. Set that aside.
- In a medium bowl, add the melted butter and brown sugar. Mix well to combine and get all of the brown sugar clumps out.
- Add the eggs, one at a time and mixing well between each egg addition.
- Add the sourdough starter and mix well.
- Add the bananas and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients and carefully mix a few times. Do not overmix at this point. Just mix until all the ingredients are combined. It's ok if there are still a few lumps.
- Add the walnuts if you are using them and fold those in once or twice. Do not overmix.
- Line a muffin tin with muffin liners and add the batter to the muffin tin evenly. Bake for 20-25 minutes, depending on your oven. A toothpick should be inserted and come out clean. Allow the muffins to cool on a wire rack and enjoy!