Full of chocolate chips and cocoa powder, this Death by Chocolate Zucchini bread is a perfect way to use up the extra zucchini you have this Summer. Top with some more extra chocolate chips and you have a decadent, yet easy, quick bread.
Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn small commission from qualifying purchases, however this is at no cost to you.
What Ingredients do I need?
In the Summer, you can find zucchini everywhere! If you are able to get a plant up and growing, you'll have more zucchini than you know what to do with! This is one of my favorite zucchini bread recipes, because I am a full on chocoholic! There's tons of semi sweet chocolate chips and lots of high quality cocoa powder in this bread. The zucchini adds moisture to make this bread nice and moist, and there are no machines needed! Mix everything by hand!
Zucchini- Use one large zucchini or two medium zucchini. You want to have about 1 ½ cups of shredded zucchini.
Unsweetened cocoa powder- Use a high quality cocoa powder here. Since it gives so much to the bread, you don't want to skimp.
Semisweet Chocolate Chips- Just like the high quality cocoa powder, you want to use high quality semi sweet chocolate chips to get the best flavor.
Sugar- The unsweetened cocoa powder can be very bitter, so you need a little more sugar than you think in order to add the necessary sweetness to the bread.
Coffee- The cooled coffee makes the chocolate have a more intense flavor. Keep 2 tablespoons from your morning coffee and you're good to go!
Let's Make This Bread!
Time needed: 1 hour and 10 minutes.
How to Make this Death by Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Preheat the oven
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Shred the zucchini
Wash the zucchini and cut the ends off. No need to peel the zucchini! Cut the zucchini into chunks and add them to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse the zucchini to shred it. Set that aside.
- Mix the wet ingredients
In a large bowl, add the sugar and oil. Mix until combined.
- Add the eggs
Crack the eggs into the sugar and oil mixture. Mix again.
- Add vanilla
Into the mixture, add the cooled coffee and mix a few times to combine all the ingredients together.
- Add the zucchini
To the wet ingredients, add the shredded zucchini. Fold the zucchini into the mixture until just combined.
- Add the dry ingredients
Into a mesh strainer, add the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder. Sift the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. This will prevent any lumps from getting into the bowl. Gently mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Be careful as this part can get pretty messy.
- Add the chocolate chips
Once the dry ingredients are completely mixed into the wet ingredients, add the chocolate chips to the batter and mix a few more times to combine everything together.
- Time to bake!
Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray and pour the batter into the loaf pan. Top with more chocolate chips if you are a chocoholic like me! Bake for 1 hour. After one hour, check the doneness of the bread with a toothpick. You will get melted chocolate on the toothpick, but you want to make sure you do not have any batter on the toothpick.
- Let it cool!
It will be tempting to eat the bread at this point, but if you cut into it while it is still so hot, it will fall apart. Allow the bread to cool for at least an hour before cutting into it.
Questions About This Recipe
Have you tried this Lemon and Blueberry Zucchini Bread with Lemon Icing? It's a lighter version and has amazing Summer flavors! This bread would also be fantastic as muffins. Instead of adding the batter to a loaf pan, spray a muffin tin (or line them with muffin cups) and add the batter to the muffin tin. Bake for 35-40 minutes, checking for doneness after 35 minutes.
The bread will keep in an air tight container on the counter for up to 5 days. You can wrap the bread in plastic wrap and aluminum foil once it is completely cooled and freeze it too. It will keep frozen for 3-4 months. To defrost, simply leave it at room temperature until it is defrosted.
It satisfies your sweet tooth with rich chocolate, and it's got some amazing hidden veggies! Your kids will only realize how amazing it is, not that there's zucchini in it!
Other Recipes to Try!
Did you give this Death by Chocolate Zucchini Bread a try? I’d love to hear from you! Give me a shout on Instagram or Facebook and share this recipe on Pinterest! And don't forget to check out some other drool worthy recipes below! Thanks for sharing this journey with me and enjoy these delicious recipes!
- Vegan Instant Pot Rice Pudding
- Lemon and Blueberry Zucchini Bread with Lemon Icing
- Grandma's Eggplant Caponata
- Sheet Pan Brats with Roasted Vegetables
Death by Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 1 Zucchini Large (about 1 ½ cups shredded), do not peel
- ½ cup Neutral Oil Canola, Vegetable, or Safflower for example
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Eggs Large
- 2 tablespoon Coffee Cooled
- 1 ½ cups All Purpose Flour
- ½ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Semisweet Chocolate Chips Plus more for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Cut the ends off the zucchini and cut it into chunks. Place the chunks into a food processor and pulse the zucchini until it is shredded. Set it aside.
- In a large bowl, add the sugar and oil. Mix the oil and sugar well until fully combined.
- Add the eggs and cooled coffee and mix.
- Add the zucchini to the bowl and fold in the zucchini.
- In a mesh strainer, add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt and sift the dry ingredients into the bowl. Gently mix to combine.
- Add the chocolate chips to the bowl and mix a few times to combine the chocolate chips, but not to overmix.
- Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray and add the batter to the loaf pan. Top with more chocolate chips, if desired, and bake in the oven for 1 hour. After 1 hour, check to see if a toothpick comes out clean. You might get chocolate on the toothpick, but you don't want to have batter on the toothpick.
- Allow the bread to cool for at least an hour before cutting.
- If you do not have a food processor, a box grater will grate the zucchini perfectly.
- Use high quality unsweetened cocoa powder. It really makes a difference!