Moist and full of apples, these Apple Streusel Sourdough Muffins are a delicious make ahead breakfast idea. Loaded with cinnamon, brown sugar, and homemade applesauce, these muffins are a perfect Fall breakfast!
This recipe was updated to include new photos and a simplified recipe.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It's full of Fall flavors! Cinnamon, apples, and brown sugar, this screams Fall to me!
- It's a great make ahead breakfast! Grab one of these muffins and head out the door for the day.
- They are kid friendly! The kids love these apple streusel sourdough muffins! Cut them in half and top them with butter or Nutella.
What Is Sourdough Discard?
Sourdough discard is the extra sourdough starter you have left over when you "feed" your starter. If you are new to sourdough, make sure to check out this post about keeping your starter happy. You want to use the discard that is not fed, meaning you haven't given it more water and flour and it is not active and bubbly.
Ingredients You'll Need
- Melted butter- Adds the moisture and texture to the muffins
- Brown Sugar- gives a nutty flavor to the muffins. White sugar can be used instead of brown sugar or alongside brown sugar.
- Applesauce- my favorite homemade applesauce is amazing in these muffins. Store bought can be used as well.
- Baking powder and baking soda- this gives the muffins the rise they need. The sourdough starter doesn't add to the rise of the muffins, so you need the power of baking powder and baking soda.
Step by Step Photos
Let's Make Apple Streusel Sourdough Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place muffin liners into a muffin tin and set that aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl. Set that aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the wet ingredients. Add the sourdough starter, brown sugar, melted butter, applesauce, and eggs together until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not overmix. It's ok if there are a few lumps left in the batter.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin liners using an ice cream scoop or a ¼ cup measuring cup.
- In another small bowl, mix together the streusel ingredients. Top the muffin batter with the streusel topping.
- Bake the muffins for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted and it comes out clean.
Tips and Tricks
- If you don't have sourdough starter, sour cream or buttermilk would be one to one substitutes.
- Add in walnuts, raisins, or chocolate chips to make these muffins your own!
- Even though this has sourdough starter, they do not taste like sourdough. The long fermentation process gives the sourdough it's sour flavor. Sourdough starter adds moisture and texture to the muffins, not sour flavor.
- If you don't want to add the streusel topping, no worries! They still will taste fantastic with a smear of butter.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! These muffins freeze beautifully. Allow them to cool completely and place them in a Ziploc bag and freeze for up to 3 months. I've pulled them out past 3 months and they were still fine!
Applesauce adds moist and cinnamon to the muffins. It's best to use applesauce instead of fresh apples.
They will last in an airtight container for 3-4 days. To reheat, remove the muffin liner and place them in the toaster oven or microwave for 60 seconds.
Other Recipes You'll Love!
Did you love these Apple Streusel Sourdough Muffins? I'd so appreciate it if you would give this recipe a 5 star review! That will help other hungry readers find my recipes!
- Halloween Pasta Salad
- Sourdough Pizza Dough
- Beer Pizza Dough
- Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup
- Chicken Drumstick Sheet Pan Dinner
- Halloween Tortilla Chips
- All in One Apple Cake
Apple Streusel Sourdough Muffins
- ½ cup Butter Melted
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- ½ cup Unfed Sourdough Starter
- ½ cup Applesauce
- 1 3/74 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 TBS Butter Melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a muffin tin with muffin liners.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Mix the melted butter and brown sugar together until fully combined. Add the eggs, sourdough starter, and apple sauce. Mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Try not to overmix, as that will cause the muffins to be tough.
- In another small bowl, add the streusel ingredients and mix them to combine them.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin tins and top each with about a tablespoon of the streusel mixture. Put the muffin tin in the oven and bake for 22-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Homemade applesauce or store bought applesauce are interchangeable in this recipe.
- If you don't have sourdough discard, buttermilk or sour cream can be substituted.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links in which I receive a small commission on purchases.